Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Use the 4motion shell and repair the bodywork...unless you cut the entire boot floor pan out and weld it into the golf...bit more of a mission depending on the state of the shell.

Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
i have a 1.8t also and is running a g28rs and i want to 4 wheel drive it too

i bought my wife the 2.8 4motion and had it chipped an it leaves mine off the mark. .its sickening, [facepalm]

·
Registered
731 Posts
... 1.8t to a 4wd...
This is a common setup. Only not avialable in the UK with a VW badge - Audi A3 1.8T Quattro; Audi S3; Audi TT; .Skoda Octavia 4x4

The 1.8T is a common engine choice in european 4motion Golfs' and Boras'

Ideally you need an engine & gearbox from an S3/TT donor. The 4x4 1.8 20v engines do have some differences to the FWD 1.8 engines, sumps for example - oil lines relocated to fit round prop.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
... 1.8t to a 4wd...
This is a common setup. Only not avialable in the UK with a VW badge - Audi A3 1.8T Quattro; Audi S3; Audi TT; .Skoda Octavia 4x4

The 1.8T is a common engine choice in european 4motion Golfs' and Boras'

Ideally you need an engine & gearbox from an S3/TT donor. The 4x4 1.8 20v engines do have some differences to the FWD 1.8 engines, sumps for example - oil lines relocated to fit round prop.
The oil lines run in the same place I believe? Right round the back of the engine. On both S3's and normal FWD cars the same bracketry is used, the transfer box sits away from the engine and the oil lines all run behind it.

Its not as simple as just putting the engine in and the box. The hole rear floor pan is different, the rear shocks mount differently, the fuel tank is different to fit over the prop and plenty more.

Dan

·
Registered
731 Posts
The oil lines run in the same place I believe? ...
I can't remember the exact layout of oil pipes, but when I had a Brazillian short-sump fitted to my ARX, the pipes had to be adapted to fit (connectors where rotated through 90 degrees due to the different locations and angles).

... The hole
rear floor pan is different...
I assumed (maybe incorrectly) the OP wanted to fitted a 1.8 20v into what had been a 2.8 4motion.

If this is the case, then should be an engine swap.

... 1.8t to a 4wd,got a 4 mo there but body is bad and engine not there

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Odd as I have an S3 engine in my golf but the sump is the same as every other 1.8t engine I have seen. If you buy a short-sump I would imagine things would be different as they are (I believe?) an aftermarket item, not original.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The Brazillian short sump is an OEM VAG part for South American 1.8 engines (both turbo and non-turbo)

Was told that there should be a 4x4 specific version of the short sump, but it doesn't show up in the European version of ETKA ...

I guess the point I was trying to make, was to make sure that the engine + gearbox chosen fits the 4x4 system !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts