Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused about this. Can someone clear it up for me? Which Golf 1.8T's come with proper Recaro's and which come with "Sport seats"? Cos naturally I would want Recaros :p

And if you get the leather option, does that mean you get leather recaros? or leather sports seats? or what?!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I think VW changed to the sports seats in 2001, sorry I don't know the Reg mark.  However, the leather VW sports seats are still very,very nice, but just not Recaros !!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I have recaro in my 2001 1.8T (Y reg), had sports seats in my 2.0 2000 GTI. Don't know when they changed around though, sorry.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically what you are saying to me is that if I want an AUM, I won't be able to get one with Recaro's? Cos that would make me unhappy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mate,

Proper Reacro sports seats are the cloth ones mentioned in the thread! The leather ones can also Recaro, but what's the point in nice shiny leather in a sports seat? Answer is none. Cloth or alcantera all the way...

Leather seats are for the VR6 boys, nice motorway cruisers!!

My Recaro's are the best seats I've ever sat in! Mine are 6 years old now, (1999, 1.8T).

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'm a bit confused about this. Can someone clear it up for me? Which Golf 1.8T's come with proper Recaro's and which come with "Sport seats"? Cos naturally I would want Recaros :p

And if you get the leather option, does that mean you get leather recaros? or leather sports seats? or what?!
Golf 1.8T from 98 to 01 came with Recaro seats as standard then leather on them was an option. Then from 2001 on all 1.8T came standard with sport seats & leather was an option for them or you could have an option for Recaro's & Recaros with leather.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Golf 1.8T from 98 to 01 came with Recaro seats as standard then leather on them was an option. Then from 2001 on all 1.8T came standard with sport seats & leather was an option for them or you could have an option for Recaro's & Recaros with leather.

Hope this helps you out.
I think you are totally correct, except the option for having Recaro's on 2001 + cars. I think there was only one option for adding Recaro's and that was leather only, no cloth...but I may be wrong....[:$]

·
Registered
602 Posts
So basically what you are saying to me is that if I
want an AUM, I won't be able to get one with Recaro's? Cos that would
make me unhappy.
I had a 2001 AUM with leather recaro's - it was stolen so I replaced it
with a 2000 ARZ with leather recaro's. I saw a lot of cars in this time
some with leather sports seats and some with cloth - the recaro's are a
lot better than the sports seats (no comparison in fact) with way more
support and what looks like higher quality leather. I agree that the
cloth recaro's probably hold you better (not to mention being easier to
live with in very hot weather) but the leather looks and feels so much
classier, will be easier to keep clean and adds something extra to the
golf interior.

All IMHO of course ;)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

Hope this helps you out.
I think you are totally correct, except the option for having Recaro's on 2001 + cars. I think there was only one option for adding Recaro's and that was leather only, no cloth...but I may be wrong....[:$]
I've sold a 01 51 plate 1.8T with cloth Recaro interior so i'm sure they did do an option with just cloth![:^)]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Leather seats are for the VR6 boys, nice motorway cruisers!!

My Recaro's are the best seats I've ever sat in! Mine are 6 years old now, (1999, 1.8T).
Always found the leather Recaros on our Bora to be both supportive and grippy. The side bolsters were pretty substantial so you wouldn't move around in them.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Why o whyyyyy, did they make the recaros an optional extra after a certain year?! [:'(]

I have got an 02 golf with the sports seats, i like them though the black and blue looks cool and they are comfy. Of course i would rather have recaros but i have never set in them so i cannot say what they differ like, but the sport seats are good enough

·
Registered
1,934 Posts

Hope this helps you out.
I've sold a 01 51 plate 1.8T with cloth Recaro interior so i'm sure they did do an option with just cloth![:^)]
OOOOOOppppsss, sorry mate...I guess VW lied to me....[:(]

When I ordered my car from VW (in August 2001), they told me I could only have Leather Recaros as an optional extra, No cloth Recaros. I guess they were trying to get me to spend more money.....which they did manage to do.... I did not want leather as I wanted to get them retrimed myself...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I don't think that Recaro was an option, they were just phased out.  Some 2001 cars had recaro, some sport seats.  Post 2001 all sport seats.  You have 2 years when it was possible to have an AUM and Recarco late 2000 (like my old car) and early to mid 2001.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I don't think that Recaro was an option, they were just phased out. Some 2001 cars had recaro, some sport seats. Post 2001 all sport seats. You have 2 years when it was possible to have an AUM and Recarco late 2000 (like my old car) and early to mid 2001.
Could i retro fit heated recaros?

Why do VW make things so complicated, different engines, different specs all in the same year [:|]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I'm new to this forum but am glad I found it as the community is very knowledgable and helpful. I've been searching for leather RECARO seats for my golf now for AGES but can't seem to find the right ones. I've seen alot of the normal sports leather seats or non-recaro's but is there any real difference between the 2 types? What separates the RECARO leather seats from the normal sports leather seats? Would really appreciate if someone could clear this up for me.

Regards

Jib

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
In terms of the Bora, the earlier ones with sports leather seats (mine has these) is rounded headrests with holes in the middle and sportier bolsters - there a little more substantial than the standard seats. The Recaros have rectangular headrests (same as the Golf I believe) and bigger bolsters. The Recaros are the ones to go for but my car came with the heated leather sports seats when I bought it which I think are far more comfier and supportive than the standard seats but the Recaro's are really nice. If I could find some in cream and heated I think an upgrade would be due!

Heres a pic of mine and some Recaros to compare:

Posted Image

1 - 20 of 23 Posts