Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. Been a member of a few VW forums for many years and have had numerous Mk2, 3 and Corrados since passing my test however I am finally growing up and looking for a sensible(ish) Mk4.

I dont do a huge amount of miles so I am looking at either a 1.8T or V6 4mo. The car will be kept relatively standard so I am looking for something good to improve on. I am a bit of nerd when it comes to engine nosie so the 4mo is the preference however there aint a lot going about up here.

Is there a lot to choose from between the two as standard in terms of performance? I am going to look at a 4mo on Sat 2000, 53k, 3dr for ?7500 in red. Is that a good price? Not sure about the red though.

Any advice on what things to look for regarding the V6? I know for the 1.8T they are ok and the cambelt should be replaced around 60k. Anything else Mk4 wise?

·
Registered
220 Posts
 check the fans are ok mate an the coil pack has been change i guess, i am sure someone else will be a long to help you out more  

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi

I buy and sell a few MK4's , and I would say a red golf is harder to sell then others, I have seen a black 4 motion 5 door,with 56 thousand miles, go for less at auction in leeds about 4 weeks ago, so I think it is expensive, I sold a black 4 door turbo W reg 70,000 miles for ?5400 about 4 months ago, and it was good condition with 2 former owners. I would go for turbo as you could revo it fer 200bhp if required. if you need a trade book price for 4 motion then message me then you could hit the dealer with trade price and say you will take it off his hands :)

steve

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I realise the red is not the most common colour however I am sure there are a few wee cosmetic changes that could help. Would make a change from the usual silver/black.

Is there anything on the 4wd system that is prone to fail?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi , All down to personal preference i supose , both have good points , i like my 4Mo ..... Very smooth , great grip and stability with 4wd , ESP is good , Defo saved me once on the motorway !! Also no cambelts to change as they are internal chain driven on the V6 . Faults are mainly the same across the range ie: water pumps , fans . Got mine about six months ago ?10500 , 2002 model , 5 door , 36,000 miles , 1 owner , leather heated recaro's , Cruise , ESP , Climatronic etc . Hope you get sorted mate ... Cheers.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply.  At the moment I am trying to justify the extra cost over a Mk3 VR6.  Are they mcuh quicker than the Mk3? 

·
Registered
569 Posts
Not much quicker than the VR6 , but VR6 is only 2wd , i think the 4wd on the 4Mo saps a bit of power , but that said it produces 30bhp more.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought a red 4motion with beige leather interior. At the time I wasn't sure about the colour but there aren't that common and it has really grown on me. I would agree that when it comes to sell it, it will have an effect on the price but when its clean and the sun is shining its a stunning colour.

I have a corrado vr6 also. The bora v6 and the rado v6 are different beasts. However sound wise, performance and smile factor are similiar.

Take a 4motion to a wet round about and you will have you mind made up. The handling is absolutely amazing. I always wanted to move into 4wd. I was looking at a scooby, but I thought I would go with something more sensible and stick with VAG. Not had any regrets yet.

In my opinion the 4motions golf/bora are quite stealthy. You dont notice them that much unless you know what you're looking for. Takes alot of people by surprise espcially in a Bora, because they are considered the more boring/sensible VW but not in 4motion disguise.

Standard suspension is disappointing though, especially for a car of its capabilities. It becomes apparent when you really push it. Fortunately this can be changed :)

Good luck with the hunt. Go for the v6.

Timo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had my 4motion for nearly two years, i was originally looking at the RX8 or a V5, but in the end i opted for a V6, had to travel 150 miles to get it, but it was well worth it.

It helps if you do a bit of pre-cost planning and work out you insurance, running costs depreciation etc, petrol perfomance in the V6 around town aint too great, but you get a 1/2 decent MPG on any substantial motorway run.

Overall, i just love the sound of the engine, turn your stereo down and listen to your car idle, build it up, give it some revs and listen to it go, the roar it gives towards the higher end makes owing a V6 all that more worth it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Mate,

Just my two cents, but speaking as a current V6 4Motion owner and past owner of a few 1.8T's and 115PDs (and numerous MK3s), my advice would now ALWAYS be to go for the 1.8T GTI.

Sure, I do love my V6, but the fuel consumption is SHOCKING,...really eye wateringly, gut wrenchingly, sleepless nightly AWFUL. Yes, it's always easy to talk yourself into buying one,...nice spec, big engine, nice noise, 4WD etc. etc., but honestly, they are soooo uneconomical it's not funny. Round town, driven like it wants to be driven, reckon on MPG in the very low 20's (even high teens); longer journeys about 25-28. If you drive it like you're scared of the accelerator pedal, you *might* touch 30-32, but please take that with a pinch of salt, this car isn't for driving like a granny. The tank costs nigh on ?60 to fill and will last between 250-280 miles for town driving,....not a nice situation.

Of course, there are less economical cars out there (erm,...maybe a Hummer!) but my honest advice would be to find a well specced GTI over a V6 - plenty of REVO remap potential there and a lighter, more economical car.

Added to this, just try selling on a V6 4Mo these days,...with petrol tipping ?1 a litre it'd be no laughing matter.

If, like me, you get seduced by big engines, and a whiff of petrol, go for the V6, but as much as I like it I honestly wish I'd stuck with the 1.8T, and I wish someone had taken me to one side and knocked this into me :) (not that I'd have listened of course!!) If a decent 1.8T came up then I'd part-ex at a shot (I'm too picky on spec though to find one straight away!)

Hope this helps!

Nick

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do often let my heart rule my head and I am a sucker for a good engine. However for me its getting into expensive category so I dont want to buy something that is going to cost me loads to run.

I do get some petrol costs form work and only really do about 70-100 miles a week generally in town so petrol costs are not too bad. Its more the thought of something going wrong that scares me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What the general consumption mpg of 1.8T ??

Have to agree the petrol consumption for the V6 is pretty bad. I thought it was the 'new car' lets play when I first got my 4motion. But no matter how I drive it doesn't get much better. So I now drive it like I want to. Get the cruise control slapped on, on the motorway and its easy to get 32-33mpg.

I'm just a sucker for big engined VW and I go along the lines of 'You only live once, you're dead a long time and lifes for living'. If you want V6 power then damn well go and buy one. Yes, it hurts on the wallet but you need to spoil yourself sometimes.

You dont have to keep it forever, in fact I've had mine for only 4 months and thinking about my next car, but I do have a problem!! I just can't keep a car for very long. Next is audi s4. Now that has bad fuel economy.

Probably will be hard to sell it due to engine size, but that what makes these cars easy to buy for not alot of money.

Timo

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Timo, thats scary. You sound just like me. Never had a car for more than a year. I have kinda decided that if I get a decent price it will be mine. Just have to see what I get for the Mk3.

One thing though, is there replacement panels avialable for the wood because its a long way off till I need my pipe and slippers if you know what I mean. If not how easy is it too remove so I could get it sprayed/covered?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
See my old site www.borabase.com - I changed the trim, its real easy.

V6 fuel consumption is not great, but then

A) I've heard mapped 1.8Ts aren't much better
B) Its the price you pay for the feel/performance/noise

My 330 returns better figures despite being a larger engine in a slightly heavier car, but when I had my Bora V6 it never really bothered me...if you drive a V8 S4, you can expect 15-16MPG around town so you pays your money and makes your choice.

1.8T is a sound buy and with a map can reach V6 4Mo performance/beyond, but for me it lacks the soul of the V6. The whole world is jumping on the diesel band wagon and as such TDI Golfs are in huge demand...forcing prices up to (IMO) silly levels. By buying the V6, you may spend more on fuel and have a bit more trouble selling it, but you will save about ?3000 over a TDI 150 and will have an engine note to die for

·
Registered
127 Posts
coullstar are you registered on the Corrado forum? I'm sure I've seen that name before.

I'm telling you, V6 is the way forward. There's not much wood trim in them, you can buy after market silver/dark wood that looks cool.

Timo.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi to all

After my conversion over to 2.8V6 2MOTION i am getting 31.4 mpg around town but i will have to wait to see what i get on the motorway till sunday LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
20mpg is good!!

One of my cars is a 1995 BMW 3.8 Litre M5 with 340bhp. A 2.8 4 Motion sips fuel compared to this monster.

1.8T - I think it's more fun than the V6 and tuning gives more bhp/?. V6's sound very good though.

Sal

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
coullstar are you registered on the Corrado forum? I'm sure I've seen that name before.

I'm telling you, V6 is the way forward. There's not much wood trim in them, you can buy after market silver/dark wood that looks cool.

Timo.
Yeah been on the Corrado forum for a while. If work allowed me I would be buying a Corrado VR tomorrow but I am supposed to have a fairly sensible car. Just hope the guy gives me a half decent money for mine.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Timo.
Yeah been on the Corrado forum for a while. If work allowed me I would be buying a Corrado VR tomorrow but I am supposed to have a fairly sensible car. Just hope the guy gives me a half decent money for mine.
I'm selling my mint Rado VR at the minute. Can I tempt you with it??

T.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts