Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a MK4 for my wife. She wants a GTi.

I have read a fair amount about the 1.8T's but do not know much about the V5 model.

Can anyone here give some honest opinions about the V5. Has anyone had both or recommend either one over the other?

I want to spend ?7000.

Thanks

Jules

·
Registered
811 Posts
I had the same problem a while back and I ended up opting for the search facility on the forum for this exact topic! As it turned out loads of other people had tooo!!!!

[:p]

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am looking at buying a MK4 for my wife. She wants a GTi.

I have read a fair amount about the 1.8T's but do not know much about the V5 model.

Can anyone here give some honest opinions about the V5. Has anyone had both or recommend either one over the other?

I want to spend ?7000.

Thanks

Jules
used to have a v5 (10v) but sold it cos it was too thirsty, i was getting on average about 28mpg. i got a gttdi150 and my fuel econ is now around 45mpg. also found the gttdi cheaper to insure

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MMmmmmm..................a bit thirsty!

I am being swayed towards a 1.8T at the mo!

Cheers

Jules

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've not owned either, as I'm a TDi man too, but I've driven both cars and I found the overal performance quite similar but the power delivery quite different.

The 1.8T gave that "turbo" whoof of instant power but then kind of lost it's oomph if left in gear for too long. The V5 (which was a Bora not a Golf), didn't feel as torquey or quick off the mark but boy does that motor wind up nicely. By 'wind-up', I mean that it continues to pull and seemingly increase power, higher into the rev range. I felt the V5 had better flexibility in gear as well.

Personal choice I guess - I think I'd be tempted towards the 1.8T in a car as small as a Golf ..... If I was buying a Audi A6, I would be tempted towards the normally aspirated, larger engine (especially a V-engine) rather than a smaller engine that generated a lot of it's power from the Turbo.

Nice car the 1.8T GTi but once in the performance Sooty Club it's hard to go back to Petrol :)

David.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Don't shoot me down but........neither!!

Go for a Leon Cupra 180 bhp and much better suspension tune (hard but not harsh). Very linear power responce and by now the prices will be dropping about now. Reasonable fuel consumption too. Sure u'll get one in your price range.

The problem with performance TDi's is that they command a price premium and at your price range 7K - u'll get more for your money with the Leon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The V5 (which was a Bora not a Golf), didn't feel as torquey or quick off the mark but boy does that motor wind up nicely. By 'wind-up', I mean that it continues to pull and seemingly increase power, higher into the rev range. I felt the V5 had better flexibility in gear as well.
I completely agree with GPS-Kid. The drive is quite different with the V5. I bought one because of the excellent torque through the whole of the rev range. What I didn't investigate thoroughly enough is how easy to modify they are - which without serious mechanical changes such as camshafts or superchargers give you very little improvement for the money when compared to a chip change and remap on a turbo.

The sound of the V5 wins hands down too, and if you're a bit of a lazy driver then it will pull in pretty much any gear from low down in the rev range far better. All said and done though, I do sometimes think about the turbo I walked away from...

Either way, both very good cars and I'm sure neither will disappoint. Good luck!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey green and Cream, what MPG do you average in your V5? Same as the post started im looking at 1.8T or a V5 but i found a nice looking V5 170BHP im looking at this weekend at a great price. Only reservation is the fuel issue. Im never going to mod it anyway so thats not an issue.

Is MPG much different between the 150BHP and the 170BHP by the way?

Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey green and Cream, what MPG do you average in your V5? Same as the post started im looking at 1.8T or a V5 but i found a nice looking V5 170BHP im looking at this weekend at a great price. Only reservation is the fuel issue. Im never going to mod it anyway so thats not an issue.

Is MPG much different between the 150BHP and the 170BHP by the way?

Joe
if it's any use, i had a 150hp v5 and a sensible drive would deliver around 28-32 mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input...................................

I currently own 2 oil burners (old ones!) and a Mk2 GTi. Wife likes my Mk2 and tells me that she will kill me if I buy

another diesel! She wants a GTi and thats that. I would consider loads of other cars...........but..........she wants a GTi,

no messing!

I like the idea of a V5 but its not a GTi! (so no house points!) I have tried explaining but to no avail...........so...........

I am going to buy a 1.8T!

Many thanks

Jules

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ok a steady trip for 80mph on the motorway yesterday I averaged 31.2 over 260 miles in my 150 V5. My 1.8T would have achieved about 35-36mpg.

The 170bhp V5 is supposed to give a couple of mile per gallon extra.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Have fun with the hairdryer sounding engine! [;)]
LOL

The V5 isn't technically a GTi, but it has all the same kit! It's better than a GTi [;)]. Honestly, the sound is AMAZING. I average 29mpg. If you are not planning on tuning it, I would definitely go for the V5..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm surprised at some of the posts - I had the same dilemma 6 months ago but after having driven both cars chose the V5. If you're not planning any mods the V5 is unquestionably the better car - the prices when new were testament to this, it normally comes better equipped and it is quicker (or v similar if you're looking at a 180bhp 1.8t). If you want to mod tho and have a faster car then the 1.8t is the only choice. Really it does come down to whether you plan to chip or not.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thanks for the input...................................

I currently own 2 oil burners (old ones!) and a Mk2 GTi. Wife likes my Mk2 and tells me that she will kill me if I buy

another diesel! She wants a GTi and thats that. I would consider loads of other cars...........but..........she wants a GTi,

no messing!

I like the idea of a V5 but its not a GTi! (so no house points!) I have tried explaining but to no avail...........so...........

I am going to buy a 1.8T!

Many thanks

Jules
The thing is the MK IV GTi (1.8T to avoid confusion) is a sporty Golf but its no 'GTi' by any means!!! If u've not driven one you will be shocked at the handelling (coming from a MK II Gti). So its really a GTi in name and not much else. I occasionally get to ride in a Civic Type R, that car puts into focus what a real performance hatch is meant to corner like.

If however, you want a nice comfy well kitted out car which has a nice punch turbo engine then look no further!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wish you lot would go away!

I have made my decision, its a 1.8T that I must buy.............then I read these posts and I want a V5!

'kin 'ell! Life is never easy! I suppose I should be grateful that I get to have a nice car which ever she chooses

but I hear your point about tuning the engine. Its will be for my wife to potter around in and I have no (at the moment!)

intention of 'chipping' it. But it is tempting! She likes the idea of a GTi.

I know..............buy a V5............put a GTi badge on back............job done! She will never know!

Jules

1 - 20 of 32 Posts