Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is cheapest to run 1.8t or TDI.

MPG / servicing.

Been looking in to this for both myself and my boss's wife.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Tdi without a doubt.

I pootled home from Sheffield this afternoon - steady 80-85, and managed 50mpg from my 188bhp mosheen !

Add long life servicing (VSi) and you're looking at very inexpensive motoring.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had the same question when looking for a MK4, generally you will pay ?1500 to ?2000 more for a D with a similar spec to a 1.8T. If you do loads of miles the D will come out cheaper, If you do less than around 12K per year you won't get back the extra you paid. I average 34 MPG in my 1.8T and that includes some Sprints and a Track Day. If you can find a good D for the same money go for it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
iv got the 115pd desiel and to be honest as said above unless u do a high millage, i do 15k a year and dont think that is high enough, I dont think the desiel really pays off, higher initial price and also more expensive fuel than petrol. Mine also has to be serviced very often, 10,000miles which seems very low to me.

Personally I wouldnt buy a desiel again, sorry guys but that just my thoughts.

·
Registered
333 Posts
They are however very easily tunable :) and if you get a gt tdi come with the gti spec obviously which makes it a much nicer package.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yes, the diesel fuel is dearer per litre, but then again you do more mpg (a good chunk more).

TDi have no faffing coil packs either !!!

Oh, and this business about the TDi costing more to buy.......you'll get a chunk back when you sell it......

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not only does it depend on what milleage you do, but its the type you do. I only do around 15K miles a year, but very often I am stuck in motorway traffic (accidents / incidents on the M6), so the Diesel came into its own.

I find that I have halved my fuel costs, but I agree with the other points, servicing (none long life) is expensive, as it is required every 10K miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been doing a scarey about of miles recently.

I have a blue mk2 Driver which most of you have seen on the old forum, which i'm using for shows,

For my everyday car its been a low mileage (71k Mk2 16v) but i feel i'm killing this doing stop start everyday. So want to mint both the mark 2's up and have them for fun, whilst having a practical Golf or Bora TDI with 5 drs, todo shoping, take golf clubs and collect mk2 parts in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 1.8T and a mk5 TDI. the petrol one is 11p per mile and the derv is 8p per mile. If you do lodsa miles you will save ?? but dont forget the petrol is quiter and smoother. My 1.8t is 5 years old 57k and is is much quiter than my 3K 4week old derv.

& dont forget the petrol will be more fun to drive hard (sounds better)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes in fairness there is a saving on the fuel costs, some people get more than others, depends how you drive, but there is some saving there.

As for the higher resale values that is true, but as the cars get older, the gap in price between the petrol and desiel gets smaller, good if your buying, not so good if your selling

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a TDI 115PD, during my usual run to and from work (30miles) I get about 120-130miles for ?10 (at 90.9p per litre).

Overall it has saved me about ?15 per week on fuel compared with my 2.0
16v cavalier. Obvioussy this all depends upon fuel costs, and
derv is rising at a faster rate than unleaded at the moment so it could
be a bery different story in a years time, I do hope not though!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

I get just under 100 miles from ?10 in my 1.8T, saying that, most are motorway miles, and I drive like a nun!

It does seem to make a difference on the time of year, i get much less MPG in winter, the highest MPG ive had on a 35 miler - 30 of which motorway is 44.3 which was last week (usually around 40).

I would have got the GT TDI if I'd known I'd be taking another job 6mths after buying 1.8T, but I cant fault the car at all, it's very very quiet, so quiet the wife tried to start it when it was already running!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
In my 180bhp 1.8T i get about 75-80 miles out of a tenners worth of fuel.

I thought the same thing, petrol or diesel... if you dont do over 12k miles per year id go petrol, you arent going to see that big a saving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're looking at an earlier MKIV; I think the prices are closer than other posts suggest. One person mentioned ?1500-2000 difference between similar spec 1.8T/TDI? I've got a V reg 67K 115TDI for sale and have seen little interest at ?6500. Does that mean a same age/mileage 1.8T is only worth ?4750?? Regards the fuel costs; depends whether people use Unleaded or Super u/l. My 1.8T averaged 28.5mpg using Optimax; my 150TDI averages 44.3 on cheaper fuel. For 10K, fuel costs @?1430 for petrol and ?890 for diesel. Tax is less on newer diesels too; ?110 on 150TDI and car also on VSI. Of course there are other factors to consider; driving style(do you prefer more low down torque or more revs?) and  level of refinement deemed acceptable. Recent TDIs are much better than old diesels but they're still agricultural compared to petrol cars. IMO even the new 2.0TDI is no better in this respect either.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Go for the TDI every time, the fuel economy is great and performance is suprisingly good. I have had a GTTDI and now own the 1.8T GTI. The prob with the GTI is that i cant stop driving it fast so it costs me a bomb

·
Registered
434 Posts
As said earlier it's all about the amount of miles you do!

I do about 700 miles a week and it was killing me when I had a petrol car! So made sense to get a diesel!

The thing that kills me, is the servcing every 10K!

Had it Revo'd and am well pleased......... it is a all-rounder

1 - 20 of 25 Posts