Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive got a 1.8t at the moment but just been thinking of swapping to some thing a bit smaller.

took a clio 182 (thought they only did a 172)for a test drive today and was very impressed.

very fast,holds the road very well and it does over 32 mpg.

what should i do.sell or keep ???

·
Registered
798 Posts
Obviously the build quality isn't up to mkiv standards, but the 182 will kill the Golf(unmapped) in a straight line and humiliate it in the bends. The only French car I've owned was a 206 GTI, it wasn't any less reliable than my Golf, but was made from papier mache, a problem that seems to affect most French cars.

As for the 172 being faster than than the182 because of weight !! AKAIK the 182 gets it's extra 10bhp from the different exhaust set-up and very mild ecu tweaking. That's not gonna add any weight ! If you are refering to the 172 cup which lost a few goodies to save weight, then maybe that's fractionally quicker but I doubt there'd be more than couple of tenths in it.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
I haven't driven one, but my friends got a 182, and I've been in it several times.

As u know the car's absolutely insane. The engine is wonderful, the handling will bring smiles to your face all the time.

Are u getting bored of the Golf? why would u want something
smaller? could u live with the clio? (i find it abit too
small for my liking)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are u getting bored of the Golf? why would u want something smaller? could u live with the clio? (i find it abit too small for my liking)
yes! a bit.had it 3 years now.the longest ive ever kept a car.thinking of selling before it looses too much value.plus smaller car would be easier to get in the garage(could just get some stubby euro mirrors for the golf[*-)][:$][:p][;)])and i only use the car to go to work and back really.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Howabout a civic typer has more poke than all the above, and according
to jedpowers has better reliability than the VW, personally I have had
an accord type r and could seriously reccomend them and the dealers

·
Registered
581 Posts
i had a play with a 182 'cup' last week through some private twisties and then onto a private dual carriageway. Through the twisties it was awesome, i have spent near on a grand upgrading the suspension on the golf and i still couldnt keep up with the little clio! He pulled about 5 car lengths on me over a 1/2 mile stretch and i was really pushing it to the limit. On the straight stuff it was a different story but thats not really what the 182's all about.

They really are awesome handling cars but if you do a lot of motorway miles i imagine they could become a little tiring especially after being used to a turbo car that pulls well in top gear.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
i had a play with a 182 'cup' last week
through some private twisties and then onto a private dual carriageway.
Through the twisties it was awesome, i have spent near on a grand
upgrading the suspension on the golf and i still couldnt keep up with
the little clio! He pulled about 5 car lengths on me over a 1/2 mile
stretch and i was really pushing it to the limit. On the straight stuff
it was a different story but thats not really what the 182's all about.

They really are awesome handling cars but if you do a lot of
motorway miles i imagine they could become a little tiring especially
after being used to a turbo car that pulls well in top gear.
I did a road trip with my mate in his 182, and me in my car.
There was nothing in it in between our cars over the 80 miles we
covered. Around the bends and twisties there's no way you can
shake them off, that is unless u take silly risks!

On the straights there is very little in it too. only above 3 figures did I pull away from him.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Depreciation is a worry for the Golf, but then if you buy a new clio, then you'd stand to loose even more dosh.

If u did indeed go for the 182, then surely 2nd hand is the wisest choice. Don't buy new!
the clio that i'm looking at is september2004

it's an ex demo car with cup pack(stiffer suspension) ?10500. its still got nearly 5 years extended waranty left and 5 years RAC cover.

what do you think ???

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hope I don't offend anyone on here with this, but is it just me or is the Clio a bit of a girly car??? I just don't find it very macho at all?

I've got a mate at work who has had Clio's for his last three cars, and even though his partner has a 1.8T Golf, he doesn't like it and goes on at me about how I should get a Clio instead of my 1.8T.

My mate has had two 16v Clio's and has now just brought a Williams 2, so I suppose they are quite manly, but given a choice, I would pick the class and style of a Golf over a Clio anyday.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
i have to agree with Bobski I do think of the Clio as more of a girlie car but great little cars all the same...

Without a doubt they are quick, and Renault build quality has improved dramatically over the past few years!

Whatever floats your boat, the spec and price sound extremely good, I doubt you can get more for your money staying with VW!! [8-|]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
They are VERY cheap and put on a par, you wouldn't even get a skoda with the same power etc for the same money.

So be prepared to sell it again for next to nothing, it just makes me wonder though why they are so cheap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I wouldnt touch one mate, They're so cheap,every *** heads got one,

There's one in every council estate street you go on.

You see the owners swanning around in them cos they're on a new reg.

Trouble is,they will depreciate like a washing machine from a 12'th floor balcony!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My 2p's worth is there is no 182 'CUP'. The 172 CUP was a lightened version of the 172 (No ABS, traction control, leather, air con,xenons, rear headrests, spare wheel, etc saved 90kg's!!) The 182 has a cup pack option which means you get stiffer springs, lower/wider track, cup spoiler and splitter. The 172 cup was slightly quicker than the 182 but you get all the luxuries.

I have had no end of problems with my golf and my clio 172 CUP had none.

Peeps say that the golf is in a different class but wasnt it meant to be classless! The impression I get of a golf is that you can park next to anything in a carpark and you fit in?!? Be it at Harrods or a council estate! At least with the Renault sport clio's there is no confusion! It is meant to be a hot hatch and pulls it off in style.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
im not so sure it does!

If you want something that goes like **** of a stick but doesnt have
much refinement, then plum for a clio 182, if speed is one a few tick
boxes on your car requirments list then I would probably go elsewhere...

Saying that Im trying to arrange a test drive in a Clio V6, anyone had a go in these bad boys??

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I had a 182 for 2 months - utterly brilliant handling and engine.

But the driving position that initially was an annoyance became phyically painful after a while - the offset pedals gave me a pain in my hip!!!

Plus I had 2 engine mounts go while I had it!

So I sold it

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have driven a mid engine V6 - awesome engine, awesome sound, looks very in your face from outside.

Step inside and you are something reminiscent of a renault 5 (ie they have painted plastic bits to make them look like alloy!).

If you want a six cylinder drivers car there are better options, but it is a hoot to drive. Better bet would be a BMW M Coupe - not mid engined granted, but 10 times the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts