Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above, and thats regardless of 16 or 18 inch wheels, and one or 4 people in the car?

ive checked the speedo with a Road Angel, and it only about 4mph out.

its fast off the line, but slows down over 90, then only wants to go to 120.

any ideas please.... MAF?, Turbo? anything else?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Fastest you would really want to go is 90...

4 people in the car and trying to go 120? Senseless... Hope you get pulled and licence taken away personally.

·
Registered
432 Posts
what is wrong with the speed. Stupid driving, i agree, but 120mph in a decent car (tyres brakes etc) isn't enough to be senseless. Look at the autobahns.....but there are people over here who drive at 70-75 mph who are a lot more dangerous than those doing 90+

Anyway, driving at any speed over 70mph aint gonna change things.....look at the crashes at 40-50mph.....they're bad enough, so going quicker may reduce the *danger zone* Less time in an area where if you're in a crash you're likely to be seriously seriously hurt

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
what is wrong with the speed. Stupid
driving, i agree, but 120mph in a decent car (tyres brakes etc) isn't
enough to be senseless. Look at the autobahns.....but there are
people over here who drive at 70-75 mph who are a lot more
dangerous than those doing 90+

Anyway, driving at any speed over 70mph aint gonna change
things.....look at the crashes at 40-50mph.....they're bad enough, so
going quicker may reduce the *danger zone* Less time in an area
where if you're in a crash you're likely to be seriously seriously hurt
Rubbish.

Unless we're talking silly times of the night, i'd say 120mph in this
country is very dangerous. Comparing it to Germany is pointless, as on
the whole the Germans are much more aware of whats going on around them
than over here. I've experienced it, and they have lane discipline
unheard of in these waters.

Having good brakes and tyres is all very well, but it doesnt stop the
unexpected idiot taking you off the road, no matter how good or safe
you think your car is - and going off the road at 120mph compared to 60 or 70 isn't going to be pleasant.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like they only do 120 then. i'd of thought at least 130. (

and its the 150bhp) remap deffo on the cards, after it's been lowered.

thanks for the comments regarding speed, although im sure i didnt ask for them. at to me 120 isnt fast.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Looks like they only do 120 then. i'd of thought at least 130. (

and its the 150bhp) remap deffo on the cards, after it's been lowered.

thanks for the comments regarding speed, although im sure i didnt ask for them. at to me 120 isnt fast.
120mph isnt fast?

I agree you may think you have control etc etc. I'd done 110mph myself for about half a min then bottled it.

I'm not an anti speed idiot, I have points on my licence for guess what, speeding on the motorway. BUT my gripe comes when you say you have 4 people in the car. What you do when your on your own is up to you, but another 3 people in the car is absolutely stupid.

One blow out and you will have killed all of you.

German autobahns are extremely different, the roads are in better shape, the drivers are expecting it, they keep to their lanes etc.

This country, roads have rubbish all over them, 'patches' of road changing from one type of tarmac to the next, bumps, holes, drivers who dont know what they are doing and blue rinse granny in her Daewoo Matiz happily careering in and out of lanes.

Don't come on to this forum and expect people to think 'wow hes good' cus your trying to get 130mph out of your car. If you want to do that, go find a track to do it on.

Your not just risking your own life or those in the car with you, it's also those you hit when your tyre blows. Hit a rabbit at that speed and it can be fatal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i didnt post the 120 for the "oooh look at me". was just stating what i found out, and whether or not there was a problem. and the 4 up was a one off.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Cool, but bear in mind, that speed would be licence gone. It would also mean keeping your soap on a rope attached to your wrist for about 6 months as to not drop it.

Just not worth it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
i didnt post the 120 for the "oooh look at me". was just stating what i found out, and whether or not there was a problem. and the 4 up was a one off.
To answer your question the problem is likely to be the MAF sensor, does the car seem to accelerate ok in the lower gears then feel a bit like its holding back as the speed increases??

On the speed debate if your a confident and able driver, on the right road, and in the right conditions then 120 is fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To answer your question the problem is likely to be the MAF sensor, does the car seem to accelerate ok in the lower gears then feel a bit like its holding back as the speed increases??
Yes that's deffo how it is. how much is a new MAF?

would my Bailey dump valve have any effect on this 'problem'?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have to say that my top speed above was not the cars top speed. I believe now I have had the car mapped, milltek'd etc it should go 150mph like the LCR can.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yes that's deffo how it is. how much is a new MAF?

would my Bailey dump valve have any effect on this 'problem'?
Not sure how much, ?60/?70 rings a bell but its a guess, phone round a couple of VW garages then drop someone like Shaq a PM...

Chris

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi,

half your problem is you had 4 people in your car .power to weight!i had a 150mk4 and on my own it would go to 134. and as soon as poeple got in the car it would not do much more than 120.as soon as i chiped it to 210bhp it did the 140.then i uped the power to 322bhp then it did 156mph.

hope this helps alittle.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
hi,

half your problem is you had 4 people in your car .power to weight!i had a 150mk4 and on my own it would go to 134. and as soon as poeple got in the car it would not do much more than 120.as soon as i chiped it to 210bhp it did the 140.then i uped the power to 322bhp then it did 156mph.

hope this helps alittle.
Did they add an extra gear when they chipped the car then?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.