Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right first off I know this has probably been covered lots of times, but I've been reading through a couple of threads on here about R32 and Scooby fuel consumption and the fact that this would put higher mileage drivers off.

The figures quoted were about 26mpg for the R and about 24mpg for the Scooby IIRC.

This got me thinknig about my own car so last night when i filled up i put in 51.6 litres to full and had cover 276 miles since the last fill up.

So 51.6 / 4.55 = 11.35 gallons of fuel to cover 276.4miles so that equates to 24.35mpg!!!

This figure seems a little low to me as most of my journeys would be classed as extra urban in the manual.

My car has been chipped and has a miltek high flo cat etc. Would this drop the mpg or is it down to my driving "style".

IS there anything i can check on my car that could cause this apparent low figure?

Any comments?

PS. Sorry for the epic post

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get about 300 or so miles on a tank with a combination of motorway and town driving. On the last big trip I did the computer came up with about 34 mpg, and although I don't rag it, I don't like prolonging my drives longer than I need to. To compare, my 1.8T is bog standard. Could be the mods on yours then combined with a bit of lead welly action on your part ;-)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
daily commute to work each day (25miles each way), in the morning i get around 38mpg normally (heavy traffic), then evening closer to 36mpg (me driving faster [:p]).

last weekend coming home from london late night, i got around 30mpg but i wasnt exactly going slow...put it that way [:p][:$]

amazing looking at the petrol consumption, happily going along a roads with loads of petrol in the tank, then give it a bit on the m4 and youve used up 1/4 tank before you know it [:(]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I get roughly the same, i think the most I've had was about 340, least about 270, mine is also 'standard', strangely since my recent service and cam belt change the computer read out has been lower for MPG, usually 30-31ish now whereas 33-34 before, maybe it needs to loosen up again?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have Revo, Carbonio CAI, CAT back exhaust and I can get around 35-40 MPG in mild traffic and driving slowly, so I think it's down to that lead foot mate!

My lead foot takes mine down to less than 20MPG though haha!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Revo, Carbonio CAI, CAT back exhaust and I can get around 35-40 MPG in mild traffic and driving slowly, so I think it's down to that lead foot mate!

My lead foot takes mine down to less than 20MPG though haha!
LOL note to self must try harder [;)]

Cheers for the input chaps.

Judging by the answers given, i'd probably get 16mpg if i had an R32 [:$]

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
daily commute to work each day (25miles each way), in the morning i get around 38mpg normally (heavy traffic), then evening closer to 36mpg (me driving faster [:p]).

last weekend coming home from london late night, i got around 30mpg but i wasnt exactly going slow...put it that way [:p][:$]

amazing looking at the petrol consumption, happily going along a roads with loads of petrol in the tank, then give it a bit on the m4 and youve used up 1/4 tank before you know it [:(]
Drivin' back about 50 ish miles on sunday, I managed to get about 45 mpg by drivin' like a granny and even freewheeling down some hills on the motorway ! Keep it under 70 and the mpg can be quite good !

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I can get 370 [:O] while cruising on the motorway at 80 and nothing but. If you reckon it's low or dropped off replace the maf as when i noticed mine dipping I bought an exchange one from vw and instantly got 10%+ more miles per tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've had my 1.8t for about 5 months and have averaged 29.7 in that time.  I drive about 4 miles to work, come home at lunch and generally don't do any big runs..  yours does seem a bit low, but it will use more fuel as the chip will run more boost and therefore use more fuel..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Took of my decat for my mot and previously I was getting around 27-32mpg, this has shot up to around 35-40mpg with my cat back on and also some shell v power fuel. Forgot to mention i was using optimax before with the decat.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I can get 370 [:O] while cruising on the motorway at 80 and nothing but. If you reckon it's low or dropped off replace the maf as when i noticed mine dipping I bought an exchange one from vw and instantly got 10%+ more miles per tank.
Might have to get myself a new maf then, guess mine might even be a 74000 mile original !

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The average MPG feature on the golf lies!!![:mad:]

or at least it does on my 1.8t.

It tells you that your doing between 2/4 mpg more than you actually are.......

My 1.8t does an average of 26/27mpg.

I dont drive with a lead foot and the car is standard (no remap). I commute to work 5 days a week, 10 miles each way and the road is 40 and very flat

My 206 gti did around 32mpg.

My Chipped Punto GT turbo did around 23/24mpg..... (this thing would of made mince meat of my golf)

I dont think the standard 1.8ts mpg warrants the crappy performance.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

I dont drive with a lead foot and the car is standard (no remap). I commute to work 5 days a week, 10 miles each way and the road is 40 and very flat

My Chipped Punto GT turbo did around 23/24mpg..... (this thing would of made mince meat of my golf)

I dont think the standard 1.8ts mpg warrants the crappy performance

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

I dont think the standard 1.8ts mpg warrants the crappy performance.[:(]

·
Registered
3,346 Posts

I dont think the standard 1.8ts mpg warrants the crappy performance.[:(]

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 1.8T is pretty efficient for its power output, I reckon... That's the nature of turbocharging. Maybe slipping back a bit from what's possible now, compared to e.g. the Mk5 GT super-turbo with FSI. But it's still not bad.

I used to get a good 350 miles out of my 1.8T GTI, 400+ on one long motorway run.

This 1.8T A3 gives me at least 400 miles per tank, usually about 450, but that's from 62 litres rather than 55. 180bhp potential, returning 35mpg, in a car weighing 1300kg... I'd say that's the mark of an economical engine!

@mmuuzzyy, 26/27 is pretty poor for a lightly driven 1.8T, a good 10mpg less than me: are you sure you don't have a problem? Maybe MAF? I'm sure your Punto GT was faster, and for similar mpg to your Golf... But that's the penalty of a solidly built car - added weight, reduced bhp/ton, and reduced mpg. I suspect if you were unfortunate enough to crash a Punto GT, it wouldn't just be the Golf that it made into mincemeat..!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
280/300 miles on a tank is about the going average for 1.8t owners on here me thinks....

My trip computer says im averaging 30.2mpg

But i put around 50 litres in when the re-fuel light / message comes on .

1 gallon = 4.5461 litres

So 50 litres = 10.998 gallons (call it 11 gallons)

300 miles divided by 11 gallons = 27.27mpg average for tank

280 miles divided by 11 gallons = 25.45mpg average for tank........ getting into subaru impreza mpg territory.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
May be a lot of dead maf's then[:S] to throw something else into the mix i would have a guess that those that get worse consumption are the newer vvt dbw cars. I've also seen tyres play a big part, on my 18's with nankangs I was good 2-3mpg worse than on f1's now i'd imagine their would be more to be had with good tyres on standard rims

1 - 20 of 25 Posts