Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Im 20 , no ncb. Just changed insurance yesterday and it was a quote of fully comp at £1300 for a standard 1.8T

Only thing i can suggest is that you put your car as garaged if you can and a parent or two on your policy to bring it down. I always find third party etc is more than fully comp. Plus dont keep doing lots of quotes as eventually companies see and want to charge you more!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have just turned 20 so 19 when i took the insurance out with 2yr NCB. I got mine down to 1,080 ish so it is possible. I'm with elephant :) Put your mum as a named driver :)

·
Registered
934 Posts
Young driver + performance car = expensive insurance. Or not insured properly. No two ways about it.

So either part with a wad of cash or get a less powerful car. i started life with a Citroen AX GT at 17yrs old, good area etc and that was >1K per year, rocking 85bhp! In hindsight maybe it was not money entirely well spent!

Good luck though!

·
Still a newbie
5,822 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Young driver + performance car = expensive insurance. Or not insured properly. No two ways about it.

So either part with a wad of cash or get a less powerful car. i started life with a Citroen AX GT at 17yrs old, good area etc and that was >1K per year, rocking 85bhp! In hindsight maybe it was not money entirely well spent!

Good luck though!
I will rewrite this for you:

Young driver (needs to drive) + any car = Raped by money robbing insurance companies.

I was driving a 1.4 16V polo Before my golf and they wanted 1,200 for that this year hence why i went for my golf.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i started life with a Citroen AX GT at 17yrs old, good area etc and that was >1K per year, rocking 85bhp! In hindsight maybe it was not money entirely well spent!
Nippy little cars those AXGT's though! You could have had a lot worse at age 17.

·
Registered
934 Posts
i started life with a Citroen AX GT at 17yrs old, good area etc and that was >1K per year, rocking 85bhp! In hindsight maybe it was not money entirely well spent!
Nippy little cars those AXGT's though! You could have had a lot worse at age 17.
Tell me about it. I did love it, it was certainly better than I ever expected to have at that age. I think that started the slippery slope to where I am now though!

·
Registered
236 Posts
That was the first thing I tried, might just look at a 1.6... Still quite a bit better than a 1.4 25bhp more
The amount my 1.6 costs to run is silly, Im selling up asap for a diesel!
Have you thought about a 110 or 115tdi? Might be a bit kinder on insurance even after a map?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts