Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted in the mkV forum considering a purchase, but on more thinking I would rather get out of paying monthly finance on a car.

So im thikning of a MKIV GTI 1.8T (150) - Budget will be about ?8k

Any advice appreciated - what should I look for?

wasnt there a recall on this engine, what did that involve and how can I tell if the work has been done?

Any other comments or advice appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there, my advice would be to go for an earlier 99 model 1.8t with the AGU engine, its much more reliable and doesnt have the same faults with regards to the coil packs as the later ones do, The AGU is a big valve head and is also driven by throttle cable rather than the later cars which use drive by wire, this means it can be tuned much more than the later engined models, hope this is of some help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
erm, I was under the impression that the AUM engines were the best, since they have KO3s turbo and VVT. Jabba seem to make more power from these than the earlier engines according to their website. I'll be going for an 02 AUM.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote: posted by CaS on 03/01/2005 14:59:39

erm, I was under the impression that the AUM engines were the best, since they have KO3s turbo and VVT. Jabba seem to make more power from these than the earlier engines according to their website. I'll be going for an 02 AUM.

i also thought this,and wasn't it the early ones that had problems with coilpacks and got recalled

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Quote: posted by CaS on 03/01/2005 14:59:39

I was actually going to say that aswell CaS, it's the other way round mate. The DBW versions are more tuneable! Never mind, it's an easy mistake to make..

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's not the earlier cars that had coil pack problems from the

dodgy batch, it mostly affected cars that appeared in 2001/2002 and

some 2003 MY cars. Basically any 1.8T/V5/V6 and even W8 engines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm....confused now! :)

as i said im total newbie to the golf - so any info is much appreciated, but im totally confused now as to what I should be looking for with a budget of around ?8k

·
Registered
227 Posts
Earlier cars Have the AGU non drive by wire engine basically this means they have an accelerator cable and produce 150BHP as standard. Generally the coil packs are more reliable on this engine type.

Later cars have the AUM engine and do not have an accelerator cable. Electronics link the pedal and engine! These engines produce 150-180BHP as standard.

The later AUM engines respond better to chip tuning but the coil packs are prone to failing.

Hope this clarifies things a little.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Dan with an 8k budget I think you would be looking at 99/00 which would be an AGU i believe. I don't know the exact dates but Jabba say 97-00 is AGU, 00-00 is ARZ and then end of 00 onwards is AUM.

After reading the VW statement, the coil pack surely isnt an issue, as you could just take the car to VW when you buy it and if your car is in the faulty batch they replace it for free. So what's the problem?

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey mate ... u shud be able to get a Y or 51 for 8grand ...

i got my 1.8T golf abt 3 wks ago, 51 plate blk, 3 dr, FVWSH .. and yep.. i did the chks and mine did have coil pack changed .. mine was up for ?7500 .. but i got him down to ?7000 !!!

only niche was that its got 76k on the clock, but that dont really bother me .. full VW hist, and the place that did all the services said i had a very good reliable car .. and that i should be pleased with it.

it was a fleet car, so motorway miles mainly, hardly any wear on brakes .. i was well chuffed.

u just gotta be patient mate. the odd one will pop up which is like y or 51 .. but u gotta be quick.. or all all u get is .. "SOLD" when you call.

if your lookin for a 18T golf with bat 30 - 40k on it .. and a DBW one (Y or 51) expect to pay 8500 - 9000 or even more in some cases .. happy hunting dude

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the info guys -

The coil pack shouldnt be a problem then.

Any other general advice and things to look for would be good...

·
Registered
342 Posts
AGU head is only better if your going for the big Turbo conversion

if your just chipping then any with the latter K03 is best - VVT does nothing for performance btw, its for emmissions

·
Registered
447 Posts
are you sure about VVT? I thought it did have an impact on performance, jabba seem to make more power from VVT cars? And what about the celica VVT adverts where they claimed VVT helped performance. And theirry henry on the clio adverts sings VVT's praises. May be wrong though.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Nah, VVT is definately for emissions only on the 1.8T.

Isnt the code for the later 150 AUM, and the 180 AUQ? Cos mines AUQ and i cant see why there would be a difference from the Golf to the Leon.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can look at VVT both ways. With fixed timing, there is a compromise between letting enough air in at high speed to make the power and keeping the emissions below the limit at idle / light driving. if you can vary the valve timing, there is no compromise, timing is best for power at high speed and best for smoothness / emissions at idle.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Are you planning on modifing the car at all or would you keep it standard? The reason I ask is that I am thinking of selling my 2000 AUM engined car soon, which is modified. As far as I am aware, there have been no recalls at all on the car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would be looking for a standard car.

due to insurance.

I would possibly chip at a later stage maybe a year or so later, but would not be doing too many mods. Just a few minor tweaks, like, chip, maybe a few cosmetic bits.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts