Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i've just been offered a new job, which is all well and good, but i will have a big commute to work!

Toying with the idea of selling my GTI (Will list it on here if thats allowed) and getting a GTDI or something, can anyone with experience in both tell me what the MPG difference is likely to be, realistically? the commute will mean motorway plus a few country roads.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
580 Posts
Cant speak for GTI, but cruising at 70 in my 110gttdi i get around 60mpg :), that is driving quite carefully.

Abit faster and abit more heavy footed, I rarely see it drop below 42mpg.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mitch, my GTI is currently averaging about 30 with mixed driving, but with more of a commute i can see it draining my bank very slowly!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mitch, obviously it's going to be in a different league to the GTI but whats it like accelerating? i can imagine it's quite torquey, 'cos being totally honest i don't hammer my golf very much, so i'm kind of thinking going for a diesel is a more sensible option..

·
Registered
580 Posts
Mitch, obviously it's going to be in a different league to the GTI but whats it like accelerating? i can imagine it's quite torquey, 'cos being totally honest i don't hammer my golf very much, so i'm kind of thinking going for a diesel is a more sensible option..
I do enjoy the torque, its quite addictting, and pulls nicely on the motorway, and I have one of the smaller engines!

If you got a pd130/150 six speed, would pull even better and better mpg still :)

Diesel is def the option if your gonna commute alot, save those pennies!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Roneo,

Paradox, it is fantastic, i'm just concerened that it'll piss me off driving over an hour a day 5 days a week, may find my bank balance slowly depleting!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do enjoy the torque, its quite addictting, and pulls nicely on the motorway, and I have one of the smaller engines!

If you got a pd130/150 six speed, would pull even better and better mpg still :)

Diesel is def the option if your gonna commute alot, save those pennies!
It's all about saving those pennies! haha.

So, anyone wanna buy a GTI!?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any TDI owners - Should i be concerened about getting a high milage one? Most i see on Auto Trader are 100K plus, if they have full S/H is it not an issue? Plus does anyone know of anyone selling a TDI on here, or possible trade/ PX with a gti?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Well I do about half an hour drive to work each day, and use about 20quid petrol a week if I drive eco

if im driving like L hamilton then im lucky if it lasts me to wednesday. as you got a long drive I'd say go the for diesel purely for being better for long distances. I think the Diesel is practical for long driving but the GTI has that fun factor

·
Registered
790 Posts
i brought a pd130 estate 6 months ago,, 130k on the clock.. almost FSH, had the cam changed,, had it looked over. its been driving like new since i brought it.done nearly 5k in it so far. Ace motorway car,, oh and chipped.... :).. and i get,,, about 40mpg if im out playing ;) but mainly in the 50`s , sit at 60-65 on the motorway n the smile when it returning nearly 60 mpg is niiiiice :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just make sure that cars ok overall really - vw diesel engine are only just getting run in at 100k really if maintained fully/correctly - pd oil is a must if you get one!

It is good to see full service history (mine come with full vw) but main things to look out for are recent cambelt & water pump to be honest etc etc

·
Registered
790 Posts
i didnt trust my non stamped FSH Roneo,, so had mine done just before xmas. Worth it in the long run. :) peace of mind driving, But agree with you on checking when it was done, think petrol drivers are always wary of this "cambelt" thing with oil burners.. Its only a 4 yearly expense.

I`ll never drive a petrol car again.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I got the GT TDI and have a big commute to work, it's 31.6 miles each way, so topping 300 miles a week to work and I get about 50-55MPG.
Last car was the 1.4 and that was using a lot more for such a small engine, was costing me like £80-100 a week, now it's more like £35-40

1 - 20 of 28 Posts