Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been in a 1.8T GTI, but am very intrested. Can you really hear the standard dump valve on these? Theres one for sale at the place I got my 2.0 GTI (if you can cal it that) and I keep looking! Also, what other cool noises can you hear with the music off, Turbo?

If you can, I'm having a test drive on sat! If you can't i'll wait and get a V5/V6 later in the year.

Graham.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
No.. can't really hear the DV unless it 's faulty (fluttering/chattering noise) or if you have a CAI such as the carbonio. I can hear my turbo spinning up when you give it the beans.. so most of the time. Go for it dude !

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just wondering, cus I'd love to be able to hear the DV, something to keep me interested in the car as I get bored so easy! Shame, though like you say, it can be made to happen!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 04/11/2004 12:12:04

I was just wondering, cus I'd love to be able to hear the DV, something to keep me interested in the car as I get bored so easy! Shame, though like you say, it can be made to happen!

Yeah and for relatively little outlay.. or you could get a bov.. though think the jury is still out on if it's okay to run those.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Quote: posted by Essex Escy on 04/11/2004 12:43:15

i can hear mine......chattering and fluttering......faulty though......but still not convinced i'm loosing power.......

Replace it asap mate. I had mine doing that rally sound and thought it was cool too but it's really not healthy. Very cheap part to buy so i'd get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Quote: posted by W36 EJO on 04/11/2004 12:12:04

I've had a Green Cotton panel filter put in and you get a audable tshhhhhh from inside the cabin but not much outside.

A large atmospheric sound isnt what the car is about but if you want that get a CAI, as mentioned before. Booming sound with a nice tshhhhhhhh. All depends what you want from a car i guess.

GTI Turbo is a great option though so i'm sure you'll love the car more than any sound it makes or doesnt

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Quote: posted by Mart4875 on 04/11/2004 12:58:49

Ah!! mine D.V had started to chirp,chatter etc just recently. Does that means its goosed??

How will I know??

Most liekly mate.. no real way of checking unless you can feel the car isn't holding boost, so it'll be down on power ? IIRC, the chattering is the diaphragm, probably ripped, not holding boost.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Easy way to test the DV...

Remove the valve ( 5 min job. )

push the piston up from underneath, put your finger on the small pipe, if it sucks you finger and does a little psst when you take you finger off then it's OK. Otherwise buuy a new one!

You can just hear them if you listen carefully.. Jabba apparently sell a atmos DV kit for them now so I may look at that, other wise fit an induction kit and you'll hear it plenty.

Scott

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If you want the noise, just buy that piece of crap from ebay which is a speaker under your bonnet that makes a sound like a bov. If you want to know what it sounds like go to your local Max Power style cruise.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 04/11/2004 13:18:40

Quote: posted by Mart4875 on 04/11/2004 12:58:49

Ah!! mine D.V had started to chirp,chatter etc just recently. Does that means its goosed??

How will I know??

Most liekly mate.. no real way of checking unless you can feel the car isn't holding boost, so it'll be down on power ? IIRC, the chattering is the diaphragm, probably ripped, not holding boost.

I think its holding boost. Getting ths suspension sorted at Jabba in a couple of weeks, so will get them to look at it at the same time.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Quote: posted by vedhead on 04/11/2004 13:00:38

I've had a Green Cotton panel filter put in and you get a audable tshhhhhh from inside the cabin but not much outside.

Is the green cottom filter just a replacement filter that goes in the square filter box? You don't need to replace the box do you?

Does this get replaced under a service or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Go Fast Bits Hybrid BOV fitted in my GTI and I am really happy with it.

It basically vents 50% of the air back so it will not mess around with fueling or cause back fires, the rest of the air gets dumped into the atmosphere and makes all the nice sounds(the ricer in me talking).

The company website is www.GFB.com.au for more info but if you want to buy rather go to www.MastroWRX.com they sell the VW ones for a lot cheaper and they send it garaunteed delivery.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts