Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all ive got the mighty annoying problem of my intercooler pipe blowing off on one side ive had the P1297 fault since i got the car and it got worse untill i could hear the turbo loud so after everything else had been changed i found this pipe theres a metal pipe off the turbo with a stupid fitting on it that goes into this rubber boost hose that then goes into the pancake pipe so now im wondering whats best to do

option 1

goto a dealer and buy a new pipe theres a uprated version ?

option 2

Cut the daft fitting off buy a peice of samco or something and clamp it on as it maybe stronger ?

option 3

buy some kind of clamp the goes around the pipes and closes them together tight ?

any help would be great as im booked into a dyno place next week and could do with sorting it out asap

heres a pic of the connection borrowed off a post pat did hope he dont mind :)

cheers mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
get a charge pipe from an AGU which allows fitment of jubilee clips or even better mikalor clamps.

a much better design than the updated pipe fitted on AUQs/AUMs

not had any boost leaking or hoses popping off using that pipe and clamps.

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers will have a look into that mines the 06A 145 790A part no someone said theres a revised part 06A 145 790C and its a lot better as the lugs are weak on mine , any idea of costs new from vw will i need the top rubber hose , chargepipe & lower hose like in the pic below ?

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Hi mate, no worries using my pic [y] all helps

If you go to the dealer, you will only need the bottom pipe (top right in your picture above). It comes with a new o-ring and heat jacket and it used to be around the £40 mark.

I have a brand new one sat here if you're looking to buy one, but I would recommend as per Scott's post, using an AGU chargepipe and lower rubber hose [y]

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(edit note to self make sure you read post propper before replying lol)

does the new one look any better made than the old pat ?

i get you now id need the metal charge pipe and the lower rubber boost hose to do away with the sir clip fitting and so its a direct swap over ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is straight swap if you get the AGU metal and rubber hose however i went to my local VW and they quoted me £100 for the rubber hose [:O]

The AUM/AUQ hose with the silly fitting was £48 if i remember correctly, im looking for a aftermarket hose as i refuse to pay those prises for 1 hose..

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive been round a few breakers the past few days trying to find the agu parts with no luck vw quoted me £46 + vat for 06A 145 790C as the A version is discontinued they said its a better part with a new design i wouldnt mind paying it if i new it would fix the problem

06A 145 790C - £45-32 + Vat £54.38 inc vat

the part number for the solid pipe off a agu is

06A 145 731D - £59-91 + Vat £71.98 inc vat

lower boost hose to match

06A 145 790 £78-26 + Vat £93.91 Inc Vat [:O]

so at main dealer its going to be silly money to do agu conversion £165.89

not that i would buy them new you see them ending on ebay at £15 as there not a sought after part really i was quoted £20 to £25 from most of the breakers for both but they had none in at the time

[brick]

·
Registered
380 Posts
they do come up on ebay fairly often just make sure it is the AGU part

check classifieds here too, I bought the pipe off a member for £25

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah im on the lookout anyway pal if you come across one anyway ive got a wanted add up as well but its leaking pritty bad now

so i need a fix like yesterday really my mate said put a few self tappers in to hold it together for now but id rather do it propperly so im not under it every few days its drivin me insaine lol

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well i bit the bullet and bought the new pipe ive done some pics below to show the new one vs the old one it does look a better made part but only time will tell now pictures are clickable to enlarge hopefully these will help others decide to but a new part or not it comes complete with heat jacket part numbers are listed above

old pipe

Posted Image

old pipe damaged lug

Posted Image

old pipe damaged lug 2

Posted Image

old pipe other side

Posted Image

new pipe lug and seal look better

Posted Image

new pipe lug closer

Posted Image

new pipe lug and seal pic 2

Posted Image

new pipe full side

Posted Image

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
doh I never checked this thread you could have had mine mate.

If it's of any use to anyone else £30 delivered, exactly as above with heat jacket, brand new never used. PM me [y]

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pat you bad man i emailed you a few days ago to see if you was selling it guess you didnt get it lol ,

oh well jobs a good en now anyway its fixed now well for the time being anyway haha [:)]

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha no prob mate i just needed to do something quicktime tbh , but i thought hmm pm dont notify you that you have pm anymore i no i will email him oops lol [facepalm]

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
I bet i can get hold of the pipe that you need,i'll make a phone call later and get you a price.

Std agu charge pipe?

·
Live fast, die young
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it was pal id tried most of the places i know localy midd , oldham , etc with no luck so i bought the clip type pipe again and replaced it its fixed for now lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts