Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I know this will of been covered a thousand times but anyway..

ive just got myself a 1.8t agu on a y reg, and im going to take the engine out of the car and strip it and rebuild it and then going to tune it up but ive spoke to so many different people who say different things so im just wanting to know where to start if i want to get around 300 bhp ish.

Well for a start i know that im going to need to get a FMIC, full stainless exhaust manifold and downpipe, remap...but then my ideas fade away as im new to the vw's. ive been told to get a k04 turbo and manifold, bigger injectors, induction kit. can anyone give me any ideas starting from scratch on how id get roughly 300bhp from my engine without spending megaa bucks

cheers

ben

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Have a look at IbanezDan's build thread (quattro GTI). Thats running circa 300bhp with a hybrid k04 on it.

Your going to need forged rods, good air intakes and free flowing exhaust, injectors etc.

One plus point is you wont need to upgrade your pistons as they are forged from factory so good in that department.

You WILL need a FMIC.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how come i wont need to upgrade my pistons, because i thought it was only the s3, tt, and leon cupra r that had the forged pistons, i didnt think my 150bhp had the forged ones? and where is the best place to get the forged rods from?

And what fmic do most people recommend?

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
The AGU also came with forged Mahle pistons.

Rods......pfft....depends what you do for....theres Scat, IE and a few other ones. Make sure you get the ones with the right diameter pin in the top. 20mm for a AGU lump.

Most people would say a forge FMIC, but go for a branded name (none of the eBay stuff) and you are good. THS, forge, proalloy, eurojet to name a few. Specific to the mk4 golf.

Dont forget you are going to need a 3" MAF housing to cope with the increase of air drawn into the turbo, oil/water lines

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right well to be fair i never knew the 150bhp came with forged pistons so thanks for that info :)
and what price am i looking at roughly for the intercooler? and what car does the 3" maf housing come off, is it likely to be a dealer part? Also what did you mean by oil & water lines?

·
Like A Bawwsss
25,247 Posts
Intercooler depends what you get.....you looking £400 upwards for a golf specific kit.

MAF.....I THINK you are looking at a MK3 VR6 MAF housing or a one from a Audi S3. You also need the upper 1/2 of the airbox to fit it in...unless you plan on running open cone filter.

Oil + water lines.....with the k04 turbo, its slightly different to the k03 and k03s so the original k03 oil + water lines dont reach to the correct places on the turbo....so you need the longer ones.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I havent ever seen forged pistons in a golf. I was led to believe AGU and all 210/225 engines were forged but im yet to see it - all look cast to me. Perhaps the BAM was different but I don't think so?

If you want cheap power, buy a cheap atp manifold and whack a cheap t304 turbo or something on there. Upgrade your injectors, intercooler, exhaust and intake and you'll be well on your way to over 300 hp.

Dan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
where would i be looking for a atp manifold and a t304 turbo? anybody point me in the right directions? also what cc injectors would i be wanting to use if i was aiming for around 300bhp?

ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts