Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title really. Do I need my cambelt changed yet? Got a small service coming up, but got other things to do as well. Cambelt change is ?260, so wondered if I could put it off for another year (only do 5,000 mls per year).
What do you guys reckon?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I did mine at 67k [:)]

I doubt anyone is going to be brave enough and say leave it another year, because its better safe than sorry but they do say 60k is the mark for getting it done and you have only done 48k so if I was you maybe I would leave it a year..... maybe [:D][:#]

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I had the cambelt changed on my 1.8t AGU at ?51k and 5 years - although VW's invoice started to advise a cambelt every 40k and 4 years at my local dealer, which was earlier than the bumpf in me handbook. Given the amount of failures of waterpumps and 'early' cambelt failures reported on the site, I really would play safe (if you can), especially due to the number of valves in the 1.8t!

Sadly, I don't think low mileage necessarily counts for a lot, as short, stop-start journeys are supposed to be proportionally more punishing than steady motorway mileage.

As a family, we've had the cambelts snap on two cars owned over the last 10+ years - they were serviced within the manufacturers guidelines, but when the belts snapped, we were having them serviced outside of the dealer network, thus no warranty (compared to the new exemption block), only 'some' goodwill from the garages that previously had 'serviced' the cars.

(For anyone interested it was a 1.2 Clio- N reg, and 2.0 BMW, 6 cyl. - '82 reg (it really was tough as)!!!!).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Mine has just turned 6yrs old with 55k on the clock and its not been done yet, also a friend didn't have his done till it was 7 1/2yrs old with 68k on the clock.

But every car is different at the end of the day, going to look into getting mine done in a couple of months.

BTW, what does it roughly cost for the new waterpump and cambelt change?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Audi say 4 years or 50k now. This was changed fairly recently.

They are the same engines btw.

Being an ex mechanic, there is no way on earth I would trust a piece of rubber past 40k regardless of manufacturers specs!

The full kit costs around ?90 with the tensioners (trade) so with labour lets say around the ?250-?300 mark, is it really worth NOT doing it considering the damage it would do if it went? I.E writing off your engine.

It's not just the re-enforced rubber thats in question, its the tensioners and water pump that put extra strain on the belt as they wear.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told 4 years or 60k by a local stealer and to set aside ?600 to pay for it ha! ha! ha! , mine is nearly 7 years old and has 38k showing, just had belt kit & w/pump changed for ?240 , car has always done short journeys and never had a change, old pump & belt looked almost new ,no damage on old pump at all, relieved it's been changed though didn't fancy a big engine bill

·
Registered
927 Posts
- although VW's invoice started to advise a cambelt every 40k and 4 years at my local dealer, which was earlier than the bumpf in me handbook.
think this is the norm for post 2000 cars, def tdi's.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Is there anyway the relevent work has been carried out.  I got my car on 84500 but owner didn't know if cambelt had been done?  I thought it must have been as it surely wouldn't last this long (now on 98k)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I STRONGLY echo the comments about getting the water pump done at the same time! I learnt this lesson the hard way. Had my cambelt changed at 60k thinking I was playing it nice and safe and then the waterpump went at 65k! The waterpump cost 25.80 but the 4 hours of labour jacked the price up to over ?200! If I'd of had them both done at the same time I would have only paid the labour charges once!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Absolutely, don't even think about not getting the water pump done at the same time.  Consider getting a water pump with a metal impellor too as opposed to the standard VW plastic one.

·
Registered
87 Posts
VW diesels vary from 40k to 80k. The only petrol engines that had an interval were 1.8t and amazingly the mileage was 120k all other petrol engine were just subject to being checked on service after 20k. VW UK now has the view that all cambelts should be changed after 4 years. But this does not affect the mileage criteria for diesels. i.e. the belt does not have to be changed after 40k if the interval is 80k and less than 4 years old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts