Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Not alot in to be honest. Pros and cons to both cars.

The deisel has more torque and may pull quicker off the line but down the 1/4mile the 1.8t comes into its own and will produce quicker times.

Also remember alot the speed comes from the driver aswel as the car so if you can't get a good start then both models will leave you wheel spinning at the start.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The TDI 150 wins hands down on enjoyment in everyday driving. The torque produced just brings a big smile to your face especially within midrange driving. So much so, driving a petrol GTI afterwards left me feeling it was slow! In actual fact the Petrol car is faster 0-60, but it doesnt "feel" like it.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That's right - a 150PD is very easy to drive fast across country and always ready to give a real bootful of acceleration for overtaking. There is just no need to keep it wound up for fast progress. Each have their pluses I guess, but if you've never tried an oil burner, don't just dis it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Never driven a 150 tdi properly but i have 130. The only thing i dislike is you have to change gears a lot more often than a petrol, but the torque on them is great fun they have a great kick to them when booted. [:D]

But I still love my petrol gti more.. [;)]

·
Registered
737 Posts
PD means Pumpe Duse ie. Pump jet. This applys to the 100/115/130/150 TDI cars.

Having owned 2 x 1.8T(AGU & AUM) cars and just bought a 150TDI; I agree with most of the comments on here. Only real downside to diesel is the noise and the additional gearchange to get to 60mph(mine will get to an indicated 54 though). Regards comparable performance, I don't agree with VW figs ie. suggesting that 1.8T is quicker for 0-60; ok you only have one gearchange but TDI has so much more torque that it compensates for this and I find the diesel easier to launch on a dry road. My 1.8Ts(especially AGU) would bog down when pulling away quickly. The test figs in VWDriver support this; both the tested 150TDI Golf and Boras were quicker to 60 than the 1.8T/150 cars.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Never driven a 150 tdi properly but i have 130. The only thing i dislike is you have to change gears a lot more often than a petrol, but the torque on them is great fun they have a great kick to them when booted. [:D]
I disagree. I live in an area with twisty roads[:D] When I want some fun I just stick her in fourth and fly around the corners. It is almost like driving an automatic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I disagree. I live in an area with twisty roads[:D] When I want some fun I just stick her in fourth and fly around the corners. It is almost like driving an automatic.
Thats right, far less gear changes with the Tdi....

·
Registered
387 Posts
In normal driving I agree - less gear changing in the diesel. 0-60 however is only 1 gear change in the petrol and 2 in the diesel

Sarge

·
Registered
103 Posts
petrol defo best Never had a 150 tdi but i did have a 130 tdi now got a 1.8T and it is not just the speed but how quiet it is. The gears in the derv dont last long and it gives the impression you are going much quicker that you actuall are.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well all I can say is that my 1.8T struggled to keep up with a stock 130TDI pulling out of a junction and I suspect a 150TDI would be quicker still. I used to think that the shorter gears would be an issue but in reality you need to hold onto the gears in a 1.8T to extract the most power/acceleration whereas as you don't in a 130/150TDI.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I would have the diesel every time just for pure enjoyment of everyday driving.

I dont know how many people will know/remember driving GTI mkII's but on paper and if driven hard the 16v was the faster car, but for eveyday pleasure you couldnt beat the drivability of the 8v model and this is how I feel about the current petrol vs diesel range.

Everyday drivability wins hands down and the diesel needs no work for this, if I was going to do serious tuning however it would still be the gas guzzler [;)]

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
A while ago someone posted acceleration tables from one of the VW mags, which were very revealing on this. IIRC the petrol GTi was marginally quicker on the 0-60, 0-80 etc. and quite a bit quicker on 0-100, but the oil burners were much quicker at the in gear times, which for me is real world driving. Tables anyone?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Here are the Autocar road test results for a 130pd and 1.8T (150)

130pd
Max speed: 127mph
0-60: 8.5 secs
0-100: 25.9 secs
30-70: 7.8 secs(through gears)
50-70: 8.8 secs(in top gear)

Weight: 1279

1.8T (150)
Max speed: 131mph
0-60: 8.5 secs
0-100: 25.6 secs
30-70: 8.5 secs(through gears)
50-70: 9.4 secs(in top gear)

Weight: 1276

Couldn't find any for a 150pd

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I've had a 1.8T and currently drive a 150PD, and have to say thet diesel wins hands down. The quietness of the petrol engine doen't compare to the mid range punch of the PD unit. Third and fourth gear make cross country driving a treat and overtaking is a doddle. Naturally the economy is a major consideration and the 55 litre tank of the Golf gave me about 280 miles on the petrol and 550 in the derv.

Considering the car costs ?15 a month more on VW finance I must save in excess of that per week in fuel costs for a car what is exactly the same, plus I think I handles better than the petrol; possibly down to firmer springs due to the heavier engine. Plus the insurance and road tax is cheaper too!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Here's some figs taken from VWDriver magazine tests:

(1st fig: 0-60/2nd fig: 30-50 in 4th/3rd fig: 50-70 in 5th)

They have tested 4 x Golf 1.8T(150) and the averaged times were: 7.6/6.4/8.4

2 x 1.8T(180) averaged times: 6.9/4.9/6.2

The only Golf 150TDI tested was: 7.0/5.2/6.1; but a Bora achieved similar figs: 7.4/5.4/6.3.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I rekon its a case of test driving both and seeing with style of driving suits you best, they are different but get the same results.

I love the diesel verses petrol rants on here though!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I knew EE had been whipped by an oil burner, toooooo many Q's are being asked for him not to have tasted to soot [;)]

All I know is that driven correctly the PD150 can shame many a better car.

60mph in 4th will show a lot of cars up through to 100mph, then its 5th up to 125mph & then 6th onward from there [H]

"Do not underestimate the DARK side" [Y]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think this old debate should be settled once and for all via a ukmkivs petrol v's diesel challenge at Santa Pod sometime this year [:p]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.