Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I get about 26 mpg driving around town, 31mpg on motorways (80+mph) and about 33 on country roads (55 -60mph.) I tend to put the foot down a bit.

Answering your question, i'm pretty sure they can though!

·
Registered
811 Posts
mpg on the trip computer tends to be innaccurate....

From ?10 I usually get 65-75 miles.... that includes spirited and normal driving.

Best I've had from a full tank is 400+ on a trip to Wales.... that was 90mph ish

Usually get 290-330 miles.

So it depends HOW you drive and IF you can be bothered to drive like a ponse for the sake of a few miles... I came back from Diesel to petrol for the engine note, revvyness and speed. So I don't care... hehe

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
If i pay attention to the trip computer, 23-26mpg around town and i have a heavy right foot...... on a long run normally 33-35mpg, have seen as high as 42 but that was sitting at 50mph.

In reality i fill up and get 270 miles on a pretty regular basis..... and that is ALL town driving and a lot of it when im flying, so its pretty good if you ask me.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Strange how this one seams to work my old gti was standard would do about 38mpg, i then stuck 18" alloys on and it droped to 28-30, then had it chiped back up to 32-34..  the funny part is i now have an S3 chipped and that does 33 around town and a massive 42 on a run and thats avg abot 80mph! so i get 350-420 miles per tank. 

·
Registered
248 Posts
Get about 320 - 330 a tankful, with a mix of urban and motorway driving, trip reads 32 mpg, but works out to about 29 mpg. Poor IMHO, as if you thrash it, the trip reads 28 mpg which would be a real 25-26 mpg.

AnilS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's quite worrying.

In my 1.6s, from a full tank of fuel (?45) I get 280-300 miles, that's with town and motorway miles, spirited driving.

I have an induction kit and big bore silencer (still cat and center box present though).

Why is my fuel consumption so bad :S

·
Registered
128 Posts
IMHO and this is not one of a pro.....   up to a point the bigger the engine and possibly the more bhp it runs easier! ie not working so hard to get you thier.... mind you if i stick my foot down hard and hold it there my mpg drops to 12mpg......  drinking the stuff! still great fun :) 

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmmm i just cant decide now

i am convinced on a petrol 1.8 or 1.8t

but i just cannot decide ...

stuarty

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's quite worrying.

In my 1.6s, from a full tank of fuel (?45) I get 280-300 miles, that's with town and motorway miles, spirited driving.

I have an induction kit and big bore silencer (still cat and center box present though).

I'm getting about the same out of my 1.6s, 300 miles out of a full tank (?45) which is 50 litres!

Anyone know if this is normal for a 1.6?

And can anyone convert 300miles out of 50 litres into MPG for me as I haven't got a trip computer?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
That's quite worrying.

I'm getting about the same out of my 1.6s, 300 miles out of a full tank (?45) which is 50 litres!

Anyone know if this is normal for a 1.6?

And can anyone convert 300miles out of 50 litres into MPG for me as I haven't got a trip computer?
Not sure if that it normal..... but.....

300 miles per 50 litres.
6 miles per litre

1 "imperial gallon" = 4.54 litres.

6 * 4.54 = 27.24 MPG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for working that out for me, 27 mpg for a 1.6 doesn't seem that good to me![:(]

My wifes 1.6 megane does alot more mpg than that, and that's a 16valve!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I consider myself to be quite a calm driver, but my journey to work each day is about 8 miles each way, starting with country lanes, so there's alot of accelerating and slowing down for corners and other vehicles. Then some duel carrige way, then into the city centre. So it's a real mix of driving really.

I'm begining to think there could be something that needs looking at now though!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had a 1.6 Golf before the GTI 1.8T i had, and the 1.6 drank fuel like you wouldnt believe. What shocked me most was that i ended up spending LESS money on fuel with the 1.8T.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I get anywhere between 320 to 370 per fill up at the moment on standard 15" wheels but a bit less with the18's on, that's a mixture of town and A road driving.

Expect this to drop a bit when I finally get Revo'd but don't think I'll care too much...

Go for the 1.8T you wont regret it[H]

1 - 20 of 47 Posts