Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got a T-reg 1.8 Turbo (AGU), its done 80,000 miles .... i was just wondering what average MPG all you guys get, coz mine drinks wayyyyy tooo much! [:(]

on average, i get about 21 mpg (ok, i have a slightly heavy right foot) but even when i try and drive sensibly, the most ill get is 24 mpg (in town driving that is) ...... surely this is way too thirsty.... so what do u guys all get? and does it sound like i have a major problem with mine? i love my 1.8 T too bits, its got 19s, Heated black leather Recaros, etc, but sometimes i feel like geting rid of it coz its so expensive to fuel.... but i cant bring my self to do it as i love it so much.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I usually get around 30 mpg with normal driving.  Get about 36mpg on a long motorway run and low 20's when I'm giving it some.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
19's wont help assuming you are running 235 tyres.

I get around 26mpg normal town driving, 32mpg motorway and 12-18mpg when acting the fool [:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Funny you should mention this. Mine has 102,000 miles on it and normally on a good day I will get 30-32mpg. However, have just swapped back to my standard alloys from heavier 18's with wider tyres and my fuel cosumption has shot up to 35-7mpg with ease It's also a lot faster, so I would think your 19's will be having som kind of impact. If you've still got yoru standards, stick em on for a week and see if it makes any difference, though I don't think it would make that drastic a difference.

I'd get it checked out as it seems very very low. An R32 can do better than that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, yea i guess the 19's dont help much at all! but i got em with the car, so i duno, ill try find some1 who will do a swap with me for say a week.... but yea, they might be contributing a little to the low mpg, but i dont think they wud be making the car run this badly [:S]

i took it to VW a few months ago, and they put it on their diagnostic machine (which was ?50) and said they needed to sort some fault codes out, which wud take another 2 hours (so i ended up payin something like ?200-?250, i cant remember exactly) .... and guess what, it didnt sort f*k all! [:S] i duno what 2 do, n e ideas guys?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bit far for me to lend you some wheels then!!! [:D]
lol, yea i guess it is! thanks for the thought though! [:)]

im gona take it back to VW next week to sort out my acutator problem, and tell em to have a look at this problem again, one last time!!! i doubt they will sort anything out! but the amount of times im at the petrol station is ridiculous! [:S]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Got stuck doing 55-60mph in fifth on the way to work last week,.no stopping or starting and averaged 44.2 mpg! [:D] ,. got a pic on my phone somewhere,.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Im in the same boat mate! My mpg is terrible too! can average 18mpg sometimes! Ive only got 18's, but i guess they could be a cause of the problem.

Who wants to swap with some TT wheels? [:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Im in the same boat mate! My mpg is terrible too! can average 18mpg sometimes! Ive only got 18's, but i guess they could be a cause of the problem.

Me! I have 3 sets of wheels for you to choose from!! [:D]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

thanks mate, so im not the only one with this problem... something needs to be done.... yea we can change the wheels, but they arnt gona make that much difference.... an average of say 20mpg now, and say we change the wheels, it goes up to 22/23 mpg, its still short of what all these other driveres are getting. [:S]

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
they hate town driving dude.........low MPG is common place IN TOWN...........if you were getting that on long steady "motorway" runs.......then worry

·
Registered
579 Posts
yeah there not good round town at all i'm on 18's and normally get around 27 to 28mpg even on a run i only see around 35.putting my foot down a bit see's around 21mpg if that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they hate town driving dude.........low MPG is common place IN TOWN...........if you were getting that on long steady "motorway" runs.......then worry
yea i guess so... on motorway runs, i get around 28/29 mpg .... maybe 30.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Right, I took my 18's off on Tuesday and have been running my standards (one of the 18's has a puncture, my mate is manager of an Alloy manufacturer, so I get tyres cheap, so left him the whole wheel).

Did a run up to wales yesterday bout 85 up the M5 (from Devon) and when I hit the M4 started doing 70 as this is where I got caught last time [:mad:] At the end of my journey home (380 miles total) my MFA was showing 38.2mpg

With my 18's on when I went up to Doncaster (550 mile round trip) for the day when I got home my MFA was showing 32mpg.

So with my 16's on I got an extra 6mpg roughly. Obviously you cant take this as completely true as both journeys were different. However, the only thing I know is i have NEVER seen even 36mpg running my 18's, ever!!!

I'm seriously considering keeping the standards on there now! Not only have I got seriously good MPG, but also my ride quality is back!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Taking this thread a little further, what wheel size do you think would be optimum for fuel consumption forgetting about handling, grip etc. Would it be like a ten inch wheel with 95/100/10 tyres on [:)] ? Or is it the thinner and smaller the better? Racing cycle wheels?

Sarge

1 - 20 of 39 Posts