Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i dont have a 'puter in my car i dont know what kinda MPG im getting, so i filled up to the brim and then a bit more.

So far im around 270miles and got maybe a quarter tank to go. Just wondering what everyone is getting?

I recently got a new job and im doing 60miles/day - im seriously
considering going for a diesel. Will i see some ??? savings by getting
a 2.0TDI over my 1.6 FSI?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm sure I do better than that. Are you driving your 60 miles on the motorway? If you are and keeping to a sensible speed then you should see more than 40mpg. Sticking to 70 or less on a decent run can yield close to 50mpg in mine. My wife set the record of 53.3 on a 25 mile run along the mway doing 65-70.

You may well get more mpg out of a 2.0TDI but by the time you factor in your increased costs to buy one then it will cost you more money.

Try measuring your mpg over a few tank fulls, brimming it using the same one click each time. Divide the number of litres you put in by 4.55 to give gallons and then divide the miles done since last fill up by the number of gallons.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually sit in slowish traffic along the north circular, getting up to 40-50mph max and then back down to a crawl.

Only way i make up time and get into work on time is zipping
along the M4 at three figure speeds. I swear i look down at my petrol
gauge and realise its just moved after a few minutes on the motorway!!!!

Maybe i should just relax it a bit and try and get a bit more mpg outa it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well i can manage up to about 500m a tank, but thats drivinga solid 70mph tank full to the brim, 400 is easy for a motorway journey.

believe the salesman told me you needed to drive about 20,000m a year to start makingt he TDI worth it

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
On my commute to uni (14miles, 2 or which are going oit of town at rush hour crawling along) the rest os Nsl Dual carriage way and a 50mph zone i see abouyt 43-44mpg

·
Registered
689 Posts
You may well get more mpg out of a 2.0TDI but by the time you factor in your increased costs to buy one then it will cost you more money.
...............and you'll have a load more fun, and it'll be worth a sight more when you sell it on.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
and it'll be worth a sight more when you sell it on.
Figures from What car depreciation index

Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 1.6 FSI SE 3dr14,875 11,612 10,202 8,981 7,815Remove this car from the depreciation index
Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.0 GT TDI (138bhp) 17,600 13,567 11,909 10,493 9,127

Loss in 3 years is ?5804 for 1.6FSI SE, ?7107 for GT TDI - now who's losing more money [;)]

Not knocking the GT TDI but the SE is a pretty decent way to spend your money on a car. If you do bigger miles - diesel is the way to go, if you like diesels.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have been on this forum now for 20 months and I would love a fiver for the number of times we have the

" I am not knocking the GT TDi BUT....." from Mr Kenl Threads.

I have driven loads of VAG hire cars with that 1.6 engine as its all you ever get as an option :( and I have only got anywhere close to 50 MPG on a trip from Aviemore to Aberdeen seriously downhill most of the way :)

A 1.6 FSI might come close on performance if you trash it and work the stick down the cogs and if you drive it with an egg under your right foot it might come close on economy BUT IT WILL NO WAY GET YOU BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. FACT END OF !

I was discussing the deprication question with a dealer recently and he told me that Nobody wants 1.6 FSI Golfs for the very reason that the market is flooded with so many 6 month old one careful owner VW UK cars ;)

If I was cynical I might think that you are getting a bit sour grapes for not owning one of the 2.0 L petrol or diesel brothers me thinks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have been on this forum now for 20 months and I would love a fiver for the number of times we have the " I am not knocking the GT TDi BUT....." from Mr Kenl Threads. I have driven loads of VAG hire cars with that 1.6 engine as its all you ever get as an option :( and I have only got anywhere close to 50 MPG on a trip from Aviemore to Aberdeen seriously downhill most of the way :) A 1.6 FSI might come close on performance if you trash it and work the stick down the cogs and if you drive it with an egg under your right foot it might come close on economy BUT IT WILL NO WAY GET YOU BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. FACT END OF ! I was discussing the deprication question with a dealer recently and he told me that Nobody wants 1.6 FSI Golfs for the very reason that the market is flooded with so many 6 month old one careful owner VW UK cars ;) If I was cynical I might think that you are getting a bit sour grapes for not owning one of the 2.0 L petrol or diesel brothers me thinks
Well, that's me told then [:p]

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
IMO the 1.6 fsi is a great engine... i comparison to its direct competitors such as the ford 1.6s etc its more powerful quicker etc

The 2.0TDI is a great car too,

Also as regard to VW UK cars... i have had 3 due to the "petrol smell" my car was suffering and they were all 1.9TDI "s" cars.......

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Hi all

I have a 2001 1.6 16V and the MPG is crazy if i drive on the motorway at around 70-80 mph i can get around 300 miles on a tank
but in town it is doing about 20-25 MPG [:(]

but even VW say that the 1.6 16V is a fule eating monster due to it?s 16V
and the 1.8T will drink about the same so i would rather have more power and the same MPG [:D]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hi all

I have a 2001 1.6 16V and the MPG is crazy if i drive on the motorway at around 70-80 mph i can get around 300 miles on a tank
but in town it is doing about 20-25 MPG [:(]

but even VW say that the 1.6 16V is a fule eating monster due to it?s 16V
and the 1.8T will drink about the same so i would rather have more power and the same MPG [:D]
Those figures are not great. Has the car always been like this? What are the official figures in the handbook?

It's not just the town figures that don't look right to me, you should get more than 300miles to a tank on thw mway.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
I know
i made a bit of a mistake in the conversion from KM to MILES just had another lookand it works out at 430 miles to a tank but even then it is not very good i think.
Round town it is very bad i filed it with about 30 pound from empty and zeroed the clock and the light is on now and i have done 235km and that is about 142 miles [:(]
is that normal?????
code is AZD

·
Registered
247 Posts
When we road tested the SE 1.6 FSI in the Oct 2004 issue of Volkswagen Driver, we got 39.7 mpg overall (includes performace testing) and averaged 47.8 with economical driving

These are accurate figs, achieved with brim-to-brim refills and calculations etc

That was on 98 RON fuel (Optimax), which is important. Won't go into all the technicalities here but you'll lose 4-5 mpg on economy if you use 95 RON (see tech forum pages of March 2006 issue for the full explanation...

Miles to a tankful is another question, depends on how close you go to empty! (but we reckoned you should get nearly 500 miles between refills of 12 gallon tank)

Neil B

www.autometrix.co.uk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Neil,

Would you be so kind as to post the performance figures you got for that car?

Can you remember how many miles it had on it?

Thanks in advance, KenL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quite interesting this.....

The most ive had out of a tank so far is around 430miles.......I went to Ipswich and back (I live in Surrey)

I hit 300miles @ Half a tank....And I was averaging about 75-80mph all the way there and back!

As soon as I hit half a tank it went down alot quicker then due to town driving also!

I was considering a Diesel but this is better than i had expected.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I find all these unrealistic mpgs quoted a little strange and I have to agree totally with kenl on the figures.

My mpg is excellent in towns and careful driving at 25-35 ish average is 32-35mpg wheras on motorways at 60mph average is 46mpg on Sturday I achieved 49.7mpg at 60-65 on dual A road.

At 70 can average also around 42-44mpg .i find th 6th gears helps you need to be in 6th asap.

Also a vast mpg improvement when I use Sainsburys super fuel compated to optimax for example and of course careful gentle driving all helps and it has speed and accelaration whwn required.

Not bad for 1.6 FSI and my dealer told me they are the sound buy and no problems on trade in--I am with kenl on the residue values.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts