Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wat sort u power (bhp) or torque could a 1.6 get because mine feels really sluggish as it weighs over a ton! the engine is slow from pulling away

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
It must be your tons of extras weighing it down [;)]

100bhp from a 8V.

The 1.6s should be fairly nippy pulling away, just not tons of pull as you accelerate.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dunno! i dont rag it! i always change gear at 2000 rpm as it says in the book! but sumtimes i might go a bit more but doesnt feel very responsive!

·
Registered
639 Posts
no wonder if your changing at 2k.

i have a 1.6 8v as well and max touque is at about 3k7 so once you get over about 3k it pulls well. not hard or anything as at the end of the day its only a 1.6 but hey.

i think its also good for motoway driving as your right in the power band at motoway speed.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah motorway its gr8! 60 to 70 flies! love that! i used to have a 1.2 clio and 60-70 in that well! i could have made a cup of tea and still be at 69 lol i noticed above 3000 its more nippy but it takes a while to get there!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The 1.6 is a lovely free reving engining ok it's in a heavy car but if your not giving it some beans your not really gonna get the best out of it. It's obvious when the 1.6 comes on cam you get a little extra push in the back at about 3250rpm, as has been mentioned this is great on the motorway just in the right area to make use of 5th. I tend to keep it below 3k until the oil's had a chance to to warm up a bit (10-15mins). When pootling round town I tend to change up at 3.5-4k hardly ever use 4th or 5th unless I'm on a dual carriage way. It does get less mpg but makes it more engaging and fun to drive. They have rev limiters for a reason and thats at over 6k so I don't think going up to 5k for short periods is going to significantly damage your car.

Besides it's eaiser to control in lower gears and makes coming out of corners (if you can get round it first) a lot more fun and then you don't feel the lack of torque so much.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the hardest i have driven mine is prob 3rd at 4000revs! or 105mph i hate looking at that computer thou! mpg went right down to about 10 even less sumtimes

most of the time i drive my car conservativly! but i always let the engine get fully warm before driving a bit hard!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sound's to me as though you could do with some extensions to your shoe's[:p], on your next drive, I challenge you to keep it in second below 30 mph and 3rd below 60 mph. Have fun[:)]

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i dunno! i dont rag it! i always change gear at 2000 rpm as it says in the book! but sumtimes i might go a bit more but doesnt feel very responsive!
i thought you were being sarcastic about that , you really need to use more revs for it to feel responsive , go on mate give it some beans push your car to its full potential, you might be surprised by it

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
haha i had 43.5 ! my all time record high!!

i just watched ya vids! i been to new malden b4! i replyed to that post!

·
Registered
72 Posts
If the other half is in the car I don't give it everything I tend to punch it in 1st & 2nd and then miss 3rd altogether and go straight into 4th. Crusing along at your sub 2k revs in 4th getting good mpg, just had a bit of fun getting there.

You'll be happy to here that when I had an Audi A4 2.8 quattro with an auto/triptronic box I could get it down to an average of 8mpg without really trying.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok u all been telling me2, well 2day i gave it sum major beans.

my peak was 2nd gear 6000 rpm about 60ish mph doubt i'll do it again thou

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol! yeah well done me! lol

my poor car!

was fun this morning thou! i had her in 3rd about 60 and had it in the power band! 3000 up to 4000 then down and on the gas again to feel the pull! was fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts