Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as promised here are some pics of the build.
Just to think it had a little 1.6 in it yesterday and now it has a big fat 2.8 V6 with front wheel drive

I cant wait to put the key in and turn it just to hear what it sounds like with the custom rear pipe LOL LOL LOL
Kids and toy?s

From this
Posted Image

To this
Posted Image

And this
Posted Image

And then some wire?s
Posted Image

And a few more cables
Posted Image

Then a twin down pipe with twin cat?s
Posted Image

Then add a V6 lump
Posted Image

Into a ready and waiting hole in my baby
Posted Image

Not forgetting to remove those sexy eyes
Posted Image

And then her new heart is in place ready to breath life again
Posted Image

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/DentReform/V6-rear-left.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/DentReform/V6-rear.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/DentReform/V6-inside-before.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/DentReform/not-much-left--now.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h102/DentReform/V6-front-right.jpg

I still have to make some small brakets to replace the Aircon pump and a new belt tensioner.
Then tomorrow i can change the ignition barrel and speedo, put some blood in her and turn the key.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to make a new alternator belt tensioner as i dont have the air-con pump sapping power and i had to make and fit a compleat rear exhaust system as my pipes are only 45mm and this one is 60mm inside bore

The hardest thing was stripping the donor car down apart from that is fits like a glove

There is not any modding to do to the car so i can change it back over if i want to and all the engine is intact apart from the air-con pump and rear drive train

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Brilliant. I had a Bora 1.6 and a Bora 2.8, the difference will
certainly bring a smile to your face...definetly one of the best engine
sounds at any price IMO. Call me an idiot, but where does it hook up to
the gearbox? All I can see is the start of the exhaust....

Amazing how tiny the 1.6 lump looks compared to the 2.8!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Nice upgrade!

Keep the 1.6 badge- Give some people a surprise off the lights!

Have you looked into the insurance issue? Will it cost the same as a regular 2.8?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
How do you deal with the gearbox, just leave the propshaft (for the rear diff) disconnected? Will the ECU not throw a wobbly if it's expecting rear drive and you've not got it connected?

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you deal with the gearbox, just leave the propshaft (for the rear diff) disconnected? Will the ECU not throw a wobbly if it's expecting rear drive and you've not got it connected?
I thought this would be a problem but after spending 2 days spliting my head open to work this out i finaly came to the decision to split the gearbox and transfer box apart and have a look inside .

The front diff is a split diff with a inner shaft that turns the front wheels and an outer shaft that supply?s the rear wheels with power.

That means it is permenet FWD and when those front wheels slip then it puts more power to the back (using the HALDEX ) for rear drive control
so if you turn both front drive shafts at the same time the rear will also turn and if you hold one front drive shaftthe other will turn as normal along with the rear

Reading that i am not sure anymore LOL[:S]
Time will Tell[:p]

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brilliant. I had a Bora 1.6 and a Bora 2.8, the difference will
certainly bring a smile to your face...definetly one of the best engine
sounds at any price IMO. Call me an idiot, but where does it hook up to
the gearbox? All I can see is the start of the exhaust....

Amazing how tiny the 1.6 lump looks compared to the 2.8!
It is a TRANSVERSE engine mate and in the pic of the V6 it is on the right side of the motor coverd by the water pipes

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
that is utter madness [H][Y] Prety mean project u have going on there!

its gonna be great!

are yu upgrading the front springs to allow for the heavier engine??

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have up-rated H&R shocks and springs on and 4pot brembo 323mm brake conversion but i still have to change the ARB over to the V6 one

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I thought this would be a problem but after spending 2 days spliting my head open to work this out i finaly came to the decision to split the gearbox and transfer box apart and have a look inside .

The front diff is a split diff with a inner shaft that turns the front wheels and an outer shaft that supply?s the rear wheels with power.

That means it is permenet FWD and when those front wheels slip then it puts more power to the back (using the HALDEX ) for rear drive control
so if you turn both front drive shafts at the same time the rear will also turn and if you hold one front drive shaftthe other will turn as normal along with the rear

Reading that i am not sure anymore LOL[:S]
Time will Tell[:p]
That's the spirit - chuck it in and see what happens! [:D][Y]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Bear in mind in the USA the MkIV "GTI" came in a "VR6" version which was FWD. That's what you're doing here. I'd recommend some FAT anti-roll bar at the back though [:|]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
The car has no ARB at the back as it is a beam axel and not IRS
I know - what I'm saying is: add one. That's a shedload of extra mass at the front now and you could use some more roll resistance at the back. Neuspeed does a 28mm thickness rear bar.

Well drive it for a bit and see how it behaves. I added a 22mm rear bar to my more or less standard 1.6 (only major chassis difference from stock is coilovers) and it's so much better now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awsome effort bud!!!!

Fingers crossed for you on the big day when you fire it up.

Will you need a pilots license for when this baby starts to fly?!?[;)]

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Demands respect! Good luck mate!

I say keep the 1.6 badge on the back! and don't forget to upgrade the brakes! [;)]

1 - 20 of 83 Posts