Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out for a blast in the mighty 1.6! [}:)]

Well, I have recently had my head gasket replaced due to head gasket failure. I also needed new ignition leads. The car is so smooth now I cannot believe it. Anyway I was using normal 95RON fuel from BP and I could not believe how nippy my car was! I was overtaking people with no problem at all! Up to 80 in seconds, up to 100 in not much longer. I can mainly notice the difference in 2nd and 3rd gear. My car feels like it has more torque too.. Was pulling like a bloody train! Braking was excellent too with my new greenstuff pads. 100 - 0 in a few secs! I dread to think how fast my car would be with optimax or BP ultimate. [:D]. Also with the 18" wheels and Goodyear Eagle F1s and the uprated suspension, the handling of the car inspires me with lots of confidence! So the point in this thread? I am very pleased with my car and the 1.6 is probably a bit nippier than u think! [8D]

I have gone from a 1.2 Nissan Micra to a 1.4 MKIV Golf to a 1.6 MKIV Golf. Obviously this is gonna seem the quickest! Also I am not claiming that my car is FAST... I have driven a Honda Integra Type R, my bro's Renault Clio 172, a MKII Golf GTi and experienced rides in the likes of Tabs' R32, GaryM's 1.8T and Wilko's 1.8t (pre IHI)!

Rye [:D]

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I got on more and preferred my 1.6 to the GTI 1.8T i had. I couldn't get on with that car at all in standard form...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by Rye on 18/02/2005 01:51:29

......and experienced rides in the likes of Tabs' R32, GaryM's 1.8T and Wilko's 1.8t (pre IHI)!

I remember the ill look on your face when you came back from a trip out with Wilko. [:D] hehe

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I always found everyone assumes a 2.0 must be a huge leap from a 1.6, and IMO (in the MKIVs case) its really not. 10BHP apart and almost identical performance...as you say perfectly nippy. When you have 3 passengers, I found it suffers though

·
Registered
639 Posts
ill go with that.

it is true though, it may only be little but it does have some poke right up till 100.

i went in a 1.4 polo the other day, was expecting it to feel similar to my golf (less HP but less weight) but it wasnt. no poke and no enuh, very slugish relitave to the 1.6

·
Registered
496 Posts
I thought the first time i drove my car that the previous owner had done something to the engine! Turns out they hadn't, but it felt like it. I then put a K&N on, and it really made a big difference, esp on the mtwy. Went out the other night and got a video of me doing 0-60 in 8 seconds!! Don't know how to post it though.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Quote: posted by chaz on 18/02/2005 09:29:08

Went out the other night and got a video of me doing 0-60 in 8 seconds!! Don't know how to post it though.

No way...surely not!?! That's pretty speedy

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A little tip to get the most out of any non-dbw car is to make sure the throttle cable is properley adjusted. i.e. when the accelerator is flat to the floor that the throttle is fully open. Many cars simply have had the cable thrown on and if the engine works that's fine. I once drove a hire car that felt so flat I had the bonnet up within half a mile - the cable was so badly fitted it was only half open when the pedal was mashed into the carpet!!

Enjoy your 1.6!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Quote: posted by GeordieLife on 18/02/2005 09:38:47

Quote: posted by chaz on 18/02/2005 09:29:08

Went out the other night and got a video of me doing 0-60 in 8 seconds!! Don't know how to post it though.

No way...surely not!?! That's pretty speedy

Yep! I didn't really understand it but it happend. I want to post the video up, can someone help!?

·
Registered
499 Posts
i love my 1.6.

it is definatley adequate! and mines in the heavier bora derivative!!

however, if there was any small mods possible to tune this little lump, and make it a bit more liveley, then id be happy to know.

mines the DBW model by the way

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Quote: posted by golf-ball on 18/02/2005 11:43:48

i love my 1.6.

it is definatley adequate! and mines in the heavier bora derivative!!

Boras are only about 30KG heavier (its different sheet metal rather than more. Still a difference but a small one

·
Registered
574 Posts
Guys wots DBW?

Chaz - Now now, u know ur not allowed to use ur phone while driving, LOL. My mate wants me to do a 0-60 test too, we were at a set of lights once, and i just planted my foot an we flew, he was well shocked, he thinks i could probably do it in about 9-10 secs!

Oh RichardW, we definately need the 'How To', any improvents/little mods needed!

Echo wot golf-ball said, does anyone know if there are any tuning mods available for the 1.6, besides a new zorst and induction kit?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by iaincoleman on 18/02/2005 10:29:27

Yeah if you can Richard. I'd like to do this this afternoon about 2 ish, so if possible....?!!! Thanks!

Step 1: with engine off physically open the throttle butterfly fully.

Step 2: If there is any slack in the throttle cable then take the small clip off the adjuster and move a couple of clicks.

Step 3: start engine and check you haven't screwed the idle! if the car ticks over OK then switch off and check the throttle opens the butterfly fully (useful to have a friend pressing the pedal at this stage!) if not then repeat 1&2 until you've got both a car that idles OK and can open the throttle wide from the pedal.

Don't go too far with adjusting the cable, 'cos if you do it to much then it'll be fully open when you're still trying to press the pedal and you may bend delicate things in the linkage. Also if you adjust the cable too much it could give a high idle 'cos the cable is under tension when it's supposed to be (slightly!) slack.

BTW this doesn't work with DBW cars 'cos the throttle 'pot' is electronic - if there's full travel on the potentiometer then there's full throttle

BTW, this is a common 'ploy' with RR operators to get a couple of bhp - once they've done the baseline run they simply check the throttle is opening fully then start the proper work....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts