Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Anybody have anhy suggestions on how i can boost my golf's peformance e.g. what tunning can i get done? and where?

Thanks

Turbomatic

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sorry mate but, save up, sell the 1.6 and get a 1.8T anything else is a waste of money. For the cash you could spend on tuning the 1.6 it really isn't worth it. Eg, Mega bucks= 5-10hp on a 1.8T ?300-?500= 200bhp a 50bhp increase.

Sorry it's bad news

Carl

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for your post mate. Yeah i was thinking that, the only thing holding me back is the fact that insurance wont be less that 150 untill im 21 mate, is there another altenative e.g. whats the best value of money for the most BHP??

Cheers,

turbomatic.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Not a lot I can offer on this, maybe someone else could answer that for you better.

A CAI and aftermarket pannel filter will give slightly better throttle response, but not much else I'm affraid, as will a sports cat (if avalible for 1.6??) and sport exhaust (milltek etc). Even if that give you 5 bhp (optomistic) it's gonna cost about ?500+. That equates to ?100 per 1bhp, and thats a lot, opposed to ?500 (APR re-map, there are others, but thats the one I had) for 50-57bhp.

Carl

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright well it dosnt really sound worth it might just have to wait a couple of years in that case, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
K&N claims +11bhp from its Typhoon induction kit @ approx. 5,500rpm. Basically that comes from removing the restriction of the factory airbox. Get some Bosch Super 4 spark plugs (?20 from Halfords) and fill up with Optimax. It still won't turn it into a rocket but still a lot of smiles for the ? in my opinion.

See www.motorsportworld.co.uk for the K&N Typhoon.

Also don't put big heavy wheels on the car as this will impair acceleration and overall handling. If you intend to buy another MkIV Golf, it would be worth buying a decent sports suspension kit, it will really transform your car and you can take it off and fit it on the next car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers mate im now thinking of getting on of those k&n inductions, Do You think the r32 wheels will be suitable in the sense that they are not too heavy??

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
the OZ racing superleggeras and superturismos are extra light wheels

i have the superleggeras on a 1.6 8v and found they didn't alter accelerations

i've been in shiumings car and it is pretty nippy, he's got the 1.6 16v (i think) with the Typhoon

i would consider it but i'm waiting to get a 1.8T

shiu - you said about taking the suspension with you...thats ok if you get coilover that can be adjusted but if you just buy lower shocks and springs then they may not tranplant that well onto a 1.8T because of the bigger engine the front may end up higher than on the 1.6

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for ur posts people i have just had a look at that internet site above and it gave me a virus[:mad:][:(] dunno if it was 100% that sit doe, them k&n kits are a bit prices but look very good! Has anybody had their 1.6 hipped at all?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
not chipped but im considering one of them tunning box thingys

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
what kind of bhp and torque does it have, and how much was the AMD jobby?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i bet AMD must have charge him a pocket full!! im considering getting a r32 exhaust, but i am unsure if it will fitt on to a 1.6 because the fuel take seems to be in the way for the exhaust box? also does any one know how much bhp you gain from the miltec r32 exhaust??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i bet AMD must have charge him a pocket full!! im considering getting a r32 exhaust, but i am unsure if it will fitt on to a 1.6 because the fuel take seems to be in the way for the exhaust box? also does any one know how much bhp you gain from the miltec r32 exhaust??
its hard to tell, milltek say about 10%, so thats 10bhp on our cars. but i would say 7bhp max.

but it makes the car mmore drivable in all gears i find. much better torque in 5th i think and all higher gears

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
10% is wishful.

I've got a Milltek but it's not fitted yet, it's the discreet version and another forum member posted a pic of it fitted, it's not discreet by a long shot, I think I may have to cut the tailpipes a bit more. Really want to keep it hidden...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts