Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i decided to see what mpg i was getting! i entered the motorway and re-set the computer mpg currect trip mfa1!!

i switched cruise control on and was cruising mainly at 59mph! sumtimes 56 up to 62!

on a 13mile trip i averaged 45mpg! i thought this was pretty low! so when i turned around and headed back i did the same re set the comp and cruised at 70mph! by 13miles i had 38mpg average!

is this normal figures or could i hav a slight prob with my economy???

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not happy with those figures! thats y im selling up in 6months or so and getting a 115 tdi 6speed

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
How can you not be happy with those figures? Didnt you do your research before you bought the car? Im sure other 1.6 owners are getting alot less than that

You wont really get much more out of a 1.6 petrol. and due to the weight of the car etc.

Just face the facts...its seems every thread is about your mpg and you getting a 115 6 speed diesel [:^)]

Go buy an electric Aygo

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
figures state 50 out of town! which that was out of town and ploding along at 56-60mph!   i was expecting 50! maybe i needed more than 13miles

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
i just cant see any petrol golf gettin in the 50's mpg ,such a heavy car , think yourself lucky mate , mines averaging 18 mpg at the mo[:(]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
45MPG is good, cant see the issue here. It was only 13 miles so over a longer distance it may well hit 50mpg at 60ish MPH

Bear in mind the following things

Your car is no longer new and prob has a few miles on it now

Take into account factors like condition of service items, road conditions, wind, inclines etc.

Also bear in mind that little 1.6 8v is lugging a fair old weight around.

Driving with the cruise on uses more fuel anyway as you do not gain 'free' speed down declines so the engine works harder up inclines to maintain that speed.

I currently have an Ibiza Sport, 1.6 8v, 2000MY. It is doing about 75-80 town miles on a tenner!! Thats probably worse MPG that you and I have been driving it as frugally as I can. Coming from a V5 that is excellent...

Alot of people would be very happy with averaging your fuel figures!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Also, I hope that you are aware that TDIs are only uber frugal when out of the turbo boost. Drive them fast and hard and they arent as good on fuel as you may think.  

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wont be driving my tdi hard and fast anyway! i dont really drive hard and fast now! there was a few inclines! im going to thorp park 2mo which is a 54 miles trip for me! so will see what figures i get! will be doing about 65 all the way with 4people including myself in the car

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had my imported 1600 Trendline since it was brand new in 1999, and i don't think i have ever had a better MPG figure than late forties early fifties and that was on a longish run down to London a few years back.

It seems strange that as a straight forward family car, the 1600 is not particularly economical, though it has so many other massive advantages that they far outweigh the average fuel economy. I suppose if you wanted a really economical car a diesel would have been a better choice, but i certainly would not entertain a diesel, even a Golf shaped one. I know i am probably in a minority on this but a diesel, in my opinion still has a few too many disadvantages, but each to their own i suppose.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
low fiftys mpg! what!   i just got back from thorpe park! 55ish miles of 98% motorway! i got 40mpg up and 36.5 on way back! way up was doing mainly 70! on way back was doing 80 at times but mainly 70ish

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
as you said you were four up, thats gonna make a massive difference 40's pretty good in that instance i would say.

you've got a golf that weighs around 1400kg plus 4 people thats like 1800kg and with a 1600cc engine, its not made to be economical, if you wanted that should've bought a diesel honda or something lightweight

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah i hate driving with people in the car! when i dropped them off it felt like a rocket! a slow 1 lol

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
was doing mainly 70! on way back was doing 80 at times but mainly 70ish
That's why your mpg is poorer than you're expecting, you need to drop down to about 60-65. I'm guessing your car lacks the real time mpg display - I have mine set to show this but rarely take notice to be honest, too busy enjoying the car.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts