Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm having problems with my golf. When I start it it will accelerate but after a couple of minutes running it wont accelerate and throttle body flap doesnot move. I do have 2 codes come up, 1st is P0106 and 2nd is P0170. I have replaced the map sensor, coils and plugs. If anyone can help I'll be very greatfull.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Did you replace with a genuine or aftermarket MAP sensor?

The 2nd code implies a fuel trim issue, so either too much or too little fuel. For throttle on the 1.6, you need a good MAP sensor, throttle body, accelerator pedal, and fuel pump. The MAP sensor is already suspect by the 1st code, but the fuel pump not working as intended will give you the symptoms and the 2nd code. The fuel pump may be getting warm and sticking after a few mins. If it's not getting fuel, it will stop throttle.

Once you get the issue, does the throttle body still move okay if you switch the engine off, but have the ignition on and you press the accelerator pedal? If so, imo you can rule out those two.

Was the scan with VAG specific or a generic scanner?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was an aftermarket MAP sensor.
I have replaced the fuel pump as the last one stopped working. I have also cleaned the injectors which were partly blocked and not spraying correctly. It starts ok but is still running rough but when I accelerate it runs better but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it goes to tick over but runs rough again and still after a few minutes the throttle body will not open. I have not tried with just the ignition on if I wait a couple of minutes and re start then it will do the same again.
Unfortunately I only have access to a generic scanner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you replace with a genuine or aftermarket MAP sensor?

The 2nd code implies a fuel trim issue, so either too much or too little fuel. For throttle on the 1.6, you need a good MAP sensor, throttle body, accelerator pedal, and fuel pump. The MAP sensor is already suspect by the 1st code, but the fuel pump not working as intended will give you the symptoms and the 2nd code. The fuel pump may be getting warm and sticking after a few mins. If it's not getting fuel, it will stop throttle.

Once you get the issue, does the throttle body still move okay if you switch the engine off, but have the ignition on and you press the accelerator pedal? If so, imo you can rule out those two.

Was the scan with VAG specific or a generic scanner?
It was an aftermarket MAP sensor.
I have replaced the fuel pump as the last one stopped working. I have also cleaned the injectors which were partly blocked and not spraying correctly. It starts ok but is still running rough but when I accelerate it runs better but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it goes to tick over but runs rough again and still after a few minutes the throttle body will not open. I have not tried with just the ignition on if I wait a couple of minutes and re start then it will do the same again.
Unfortunately I only have access to a generic scanner.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If it were my car, I'd get a genuine, second hand sensor. It rules out the aftermarket one being bad. Genuine is Magneti Marelli, P/N: 036906051 (WITHOUT any letter on the end).

Found one for £5.99: GENUINE VW GOLF MK5 AUDI SEAT SKODA MANIFOLD MAP SENSOR 036906051 2004-2009 | eBay

Worth also checking for vacuum leaks, common places are the brake booster hose, EGR valve gasket, and intake manifold gasket.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it were my car, I'd get a genuine, second hand sensor. It rules out the aftermarket one being bad. Genuine is Magneti Marelli, P/N: 036906051 (WITHOUT any letter on the end).

Found one for £5.99: GENUINE VW GOLF MK5 AUDI SEAT SKODA MANIFOLD MAP SENSOR 036906051 2004-2009 | eBay

Worth also checking for vacuum leaks, common places are the brake booster hose, EGR valve gasket, and intake manifold gasket.
I have replaced the MAP sensor but I still have the same code coming up. I also had a couple of other codes come up but only once and when I deleted them they never came back, they were P0222 and P0123. It was difficult to get it to start after changing the sensor but when it did it still ran the same. I disconnected the sensor and I got another couple of codes come up P0107 and P0113. When I deleted them and restarted they never came back. I have replaced the brake booster hose as it was in bad condition. I also thought of maybe a wiring problem as it's been standing a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts