Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My beloved Golf has started playing up yesterday and it now judders when you accelerate and it feels like it's misfiring. The power seems to come and go when you play with the accelerator. It really it not it's normal self! I changed the plugs today and cleaned out the throttle body which has made little difference. The judder is not so bad now but it still does not have it's normal power and I can't drive it above 30,000 rpm. Whilst doing this I noticed a spark from one of the ignition cables, had a look at the offending one and the connectors had corroded up a little, the others were all like new. So I got a new set of leads but this has also made no difference and the spark is still there but on further investigation I started the engine with one of leads off of the distributor and noticed it sparking furiously. Performed this on each lead but none of the others did this.

I have got a video showing the sparking that is going on here:

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the judder. I have read about something called a coil pack, could this be something I need to change, if so where is it on my vehicle? Also do I need to change the thing that is sparking in the video and is that the distributor?

Many Thanks for any help

Ashley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,

After everything I had read it sounded like the coil pack.

If you put no 4 cable back on, it stops
the spark on idle but if you rev it up a little the spark still arches
with the cable still on every now and then. It makes this funny ticking noise as well. Is the coilpack the thing directly beneath where the
spark happens in the video (a funny shaped thing)?

Regards

Ashley

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent. I have an old identical engine sat at work so will pilfer the bits tomorrow and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fixed!

Thanks for the pointers Chris. I swapped the coil pack with the other one I had and it runs beautifully again without the spark or judder!

Glad I kept that knackered engine now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts