Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Think its an electric pack, windmirrors, windows etc. i got a sunroof in my old 1.4S (1999) which was also electric. i think central locking might be another difference between the two versions, maybe someone can clarify that? Same 'steady' engine in both though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
it was my first car from 17, so it was alright, as i drove other cars similar size engines but a lot lighter in terms of weight, i.e. clio etc, it is slow, and quite sluggish. now got the 180 i.8T which was quite a dramatic jump. none the less it was my first car, ahhh memories

·
Registered
377 Posts
i got a 1.4 16v superb car, slow as hell but it's a start if you are young, i got offerd ?500 more than i paid for it a few weeks ago at a dealer, as mine is the only one they have seen with all the options, so yeh slow but well built.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Avoid the E. Absolutely poverty spec- keep-fit windows, no central locking, nasty, nasty, nasty, and quite rediculous considering you can pick up a 12 year old Clio 1.4 for a few hundred quid which will have leccy windows and remote central locking!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right so looks like pay abit extra for the S, can anyone tell me if all 1.4 are 16V?

The car is for my Girlfriend she is going from a 1.3 S1 106 Rallye to the Golf so i'd expect the little 1.3 thrasher will be quicker, but the Golf should stay in one piece :D

We plan to kit it with all Autovogue AV32 kit so should be a nice project,

Shes only 19 so just going through insurance quote at the moment, can anyone

recommend a company?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I've just stopped driving my 1.4, gonna put it up for sale at the weekend all going well - It's no speed machine, but on the other hand is no slouch . . .

·
Registered
850 Posts
Quote: posted by S1R SS on 07/12/2004 17:48:24

I've just stopped driving my 1.4, gonna put it up for sale at the weekend all going well - It's no speed machine, but on the other hand is no slouch . . .

who ever u sell it to mate tell'em about this forum[;)]

we really can't afford to lose another 1.4 owner u know...

EDIT: i meant the car[:)]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by daflyingfinn on 07/12/2004 17:53:50

Quote: posted by S1R SS on 07/12/2004 17:48:24

who ever u sell it to mate tell'em about this forum[;)]

we really can't afford to lose another 1.4 owner u know...

EDIT: i meant the car[:)]

hear hear!

·
Registered
446 Posts
i thought all 1.4 golfs were 16V. i may be wrong

All mk4 Golf 1.4s are 16v, whereas previous mk's were 8v

Go for the 1.4s 3door, admiral or elephant insurance are fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
EB, Moi? I'm just poverty spec what would I know? <sniff>

Yeah, Ashley - central locking is another difference. As for the 1.4 engine being 'ok', em well yeah - it's fine [:D] I thought all 1.4s were 16v and the 2.0l is 8v, but I might be wrong.

TBH, I don't know if I'd spend much money kitting it etc, you're not going to get your money back on it. That's why I've gone for mostly transferable mods, with a view to taking them with me if I get another Golf, or selling them if not. But if you just want it for the fun of doing it, have a look at thechief's old ride - he spent a lot of money on his 1.4 and it turned out a cracker

·
Registered
92 Posts
If my memory serves me well I remember early MKIV's using the 1.4 8V 60BHP unit from the polo and mkIII golf. As for power I don't think it is that bad it pulls quite well considering the weight and I've seen 190KPH on a "Private road" cough cough. At least it beats my current hired car until the Golf comes from the body shop, a 1 litre Hyundai Getz in bright Ferrari yellow :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all your help been very good seems a nice forum :D

We will be looking for 1.4S i think then in Silver/black 3 door,

I know what u mean as for not getting money back for kitting it but it will

be with the kit where i work so will get good price.

Few more Questions :)

Do the 1.4E and 1.4S both have the blue dials?

I think , not 100% that may be the other diff,

Rob

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Autovogue UK :: You know it makes sense to buy one that you know's been looked after and from a forum member [;)][;)]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 07/12/2004 18:22:20

.....That's why I've gone for mostly transferable mods, with a view to taking them with me if I get another Golf, or selling them if not......

Those mods would look the biz on a TDI, Cat [:D] - and the soot delivers a key component on the wish list...

MORE POWER!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts