Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I currently own a Golf GTDI 140PS, and I am thinking of upgrading. I am considering purchasing either the 1.4 TSi, the 2.0 GT 170 or the GTI.

If I get a GT, I would really like to get it with the following extras:

Metalic Paint, iPod Preparation, 2 Zone Climate Control (as my current car had it as standard), Mats and High Line Computer = 1425 quids worth of optional extras!

If I get a GTi, I would realy like to get the following extras:

iPod preparation and High Line computer = 310 quids worth of extras. (I would want red rather than metalic)

In my experience when it comes to selling a car the optional extras are worth nothing! So, specking up the GT to a level I am happy with requries quite a lot of extras where as I am almost happy with the GTi as it comes. As far as depreciation is concerned I get the feeling that it would be better going for the GTi but I may end up doing loads of mileage so fuel consumption could be an issue.

What do you reckon I should go for? Which would you recommend? I am test driving all three this weekend.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
the gti is very good on fuel! offical figures are around 35mpg! which for 200hp i think is very good!

the tsi returns 38mpg and 170bhp so might be worth a test drive!

i think the gti looks the best thou!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If you are going to be doing a lot of miles, I would personally buy the diesal purely because it's cheaper on the old fuel and the ease of driving on motorways is soooo easy... Esp with that amount of power....

VW Diesels don't tend to depreciate that quickly either....

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've driven the 1.4 TSFSI and I wasn't impressed, it certainly didn't feel like 170 hp.

The TDi 170 is reported to be a bit 'peaky' and the 140 considered to be the better buy.

You'll pay a premium for the GTi and probably not find much discount on the TSFSI either. How do the OTR figures look after options etc?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment it is really a toss up between the 2.0 Diesel and the GTi. I really am only trying the 1.4TSi as I am currious as to how it will drive, but I don't feel its a real contender. I don't really like the idea of such a small engine reving its guts out all the time, I kinda get the feeling that in the reliability stakes its going to lose out.

Specked up, the OTR figures from drivethedeal are as follows:

GTI : ?20,136.90 (RRP no extras: ?20,860)

GT 2.0: ?18,837.13 (RRP no extras: ?19,595)

GT 1.4: ?17,963.27 (RRP no extras: ?18,595)

I always tend to comapre the price I get the car at (including options) to the RRP, this gives a me good idea of how much of a discount I am getting. Depreciation really starts from the RRP of the car without any options. But then which car will depreciate the slowest?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Out of those I think the GTi will deprecate the slowest, although it depends on how you view deprecation, either as a percentage of the new price or as a cash amount. Diesel wise, i'm not sure you will hold onto your money, my Golf Diesel with a high spec cost someone brand new ?23,000, I paid ?18,000 for it exactly 1 year on and I reckon that as of today its worth ?11500 so in just over 2 years it has lost ?11500. However if I had picked up a 12 month FOcus I would have paid ?9000 for it today 12 months on it would have lost a max of ?3000. The theory about VW's having better residules doesn't hold water.[:)]

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Over the last 12 months ive had the GT TDi 2.0 DSG and the GTi DSG now. I still drive both cars (Mate bought my old car) wouldnt want to go back to the diesel unless my mileage goes up and over 12000 a year.

Ive had a few problems with the GTi (Door seals and the dreaded streering rack) but i would still buy the same car again.[:D]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had you thought about defecting to the Skud??

Auto Express gives the following values after 3 years -

2.0 GTi TFSi - 52% ?10,847 (A net loss of ?10,013 based on the RRP of ?20,860)

Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 TFSi - 50% ?8762 (A net loss of ?8762 based on the RRP of ?17,525)

You will probably get better discounts on the Skud too. Not to mention that it's the What Car Best Hot Hatch 2006 [:D]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Over the last 12 months ive had the GT TDi 2.0 DSG and the GTi DSG now. I still drive both cars (Mate bought my old car) wouldnt want to go back to the diesel unless my mileage goes up and over 12000 a year.

Ive had a few problems with the GTi (Door seals and the dreaded streering rack) but i would still buy the same car again.[:D]
Was there anything in particular you didn't like about the GT TDI 2.0 DSG? The reason I ask is that I have one on order. I would have gone for a GTI myself, but do a lot of miles hence why I went for a TDI.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

Was there anything in particular you didn't like about the GT TDI 2.0 DSG? The reason I ask is that I have one on order. I would have gone for a GTI myself, but do a lot of miles hence why I went for a TDI.
Nothing wrong with the GT TDi matey, great car but it was my first diesel and i just couldnt get used to the noise of it. Then at the Awesome rolling road day last Jan there were a few GTi's and that was it hooked, i had to have one.

If my mileage went up quite a bit i think i would go back to the TDi but i would get the Audi S-Line, just for a change.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0 TFSi - 50% ?8762 (A net loss of ?8762 based on the RRP of ?17,525)

You will probably get better discounts on the Skud too. Not to mention that it's the What Car Best Hot Hatch 2006 [:D]
I'd second that. I chose the VRs over the GTi as it had more space and cost significantly less for what is a very similar car in terms of performance and handling.

I don't really care about what badge my car wears (as long as it is not a blue and white propeller!!). I'd rather see my cars for what they are and what they do for me.

I've had my VRs for just over two months now and have covered 2200 miles and am really impressed with it. You would not be disappointed!

·
Registered
440 Posts

Just looking at the What Car real value figures.
This is the total cost over three years(36000 miles) including, depreciation, tax, insurance, petrol and servicing.
The cars are originally priced at their target price so this would include available discounts.

Skoda VrS...?17,034
Golf GTI....?14,847

So if you sold after three years you would be ?2200 better off with the Golf

The Golf GT TSI seems to be expensive. If you add climate and a few extras to bring it up to the same standard as the GTI it is only slightly cheaper.

Out of those three, if I was buying today, I would still go for the GTI. [:D]

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just looking at the What Car real value figures.
This is the total cost over three years(36000 miles) including, depreciation, tax, insurance, petrol and servicing.
The cars are originally priced at their target price so this would include available discounts.

Skoda VrS...£17,034
Golf GTI....£14,847

So if you sold after three years you would be £2200 better off with the Golf

The Golf GT TSI seems to be expensive. If you add climate and a few extras to bring it up to the same standard as the GTI it is only slightly cheaper.

Out of those three, if I was buying today, I would still go for the GTI. [:D]
I don't know where those figures come from, I have September's What Car here and it quotes cost per mile -

Octavia vRS - 50.1p or £18036 for 36k

5 Door GTi - 52.8p or £19008 for 36k

I've also got Test Drive magazine here and they quote -

Octavia vRS - 51p or £18360 for 36k

Golf GTi - 55p or £19800 for 36k

I'm not saying rush out and buy the Octy as it's not to everyones taste but I am just trying to open up the thinking process.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know where those figures come from, I have September's What Car here and it quotes cost per mile -
Got them from the What Car website.

If you go to the the car and then hit running cost,. the Real Cost figures are under the Target Price figure on the left.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Yea the main difference seems to be depreciation, according to that figure they are giving the Golf 64% retained which I think is a bit optimistic and the vRS as 41% which totally disagree with the Autoexpress figures, sometimes I wonder if they pull these figure out of a hat .

Both cars are still excellent buys depending on what your needs are.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
In my experience when it comes to selling a car the optional extras are worth nothing!
Really? Have a look on Autotrader and I think you'll see things like Xenon's, leather and Sat-nav all add to the price of a car.

The smaller, cheaper, options may not make a massive difference to the price but will make it a hell of lot easier to sell.

J.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Guys,

I currently own a Golf GTDI 140PS, and I am thinking of upgrading. I am considering purchasing either the 1.4 TSi, the 2.0 GT 170 or the GTI.

If I get a GT, I would really like to get it with the following extras:

Metalic Paint, iPod Preparation, 2 Zone Climate Control (as my current car had it as standard), Mats and High Line Computer = 1425 quids worth of optional extras!

If I get a GTi, I would realy like to get the following extras:

iPod preparation and High Line computer = 310 quids worth of extras. (I would want red rather than metalic)

In my experience when it comes to selling a car the optional extras are worth nothing! So, specking up the GT to a level I am happy with requries quite a lot of extras where as I am almost happy with the GTi as it comes. As far as depreciation is concerned I get the feeling that it would be better going for the GTi but I may end up doing loads of mileage so fuel consumption could be an issue.

What do you reckon I should go for? Which would you recommend? I am test driving all three this weekend.
Get the GTi !! like you say as standard the price is not too bad, diesals apparently only start to pay for themself after 3 or 4 yrs, a few months back my friends and I were travelling to Preston from Bham , the time we got there, my car reported 39.? MPG his diesal (MK5) reported 42MPG not a fat lot of difference and I had the climate control switched on, on another run from Bham to Kidderminster I decided to drive totally legally and the rev counter did not see 2000rpm the time I arrived at my destination the car reported 50.8mpg best bit was it took about 5 mins longer than usual, I tried the same coming back home and 48mpg was had, long live FSI technology .....

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
In my experience when it comes to selling a car the optional extras are worth nothing!
Really? Have a look on Autotrader and I think you'll see things like Xenon's, leather and Sat-nav all add to the price of a car.

The smaller, cheaper, options may not make a massive difference to the price but will make it a hell of lot easier to sell.

J.
Yo J!

He has a point somewhat though. Remember the A3 I had, it was loaded with toys.. I lost €9,000 in 17 months!

·
Registered
233 Posts

J.
Optional extras do make a car easier to sell I agree, however they hardly add to the price even with leather, portable gps can be had for a couple of hundred quid and less, so sat nav will hardly be a selling point, xenons look nice it cannot be denied but what will it cost when they go wrong? My mate bought a C70 years back his has leather seats but while he was looking the velour seats were not selling for less.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts