Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all hello to you all .......

i know this topic have been done over and over and i have read through a lot of the posts on here and gave up a page 30.

anyway getting back, i have a 2001 1.4 16v 105k ,which has a fault light lit, plugged VAGCOM on and it gives an EGR fault. i have removed the EGR valve and pipe gave them a quick clean ( not that bad really ) fault still present.

there seems to be a lot said about TDi's but not about petrols ?

can anybody help out ? i need to know what else i can do , also can they be blocked off like the TDi's.

and my Mpg's really taking a hit was getting about 40 now lucky if i get 30.

sorry for the essay and im sure your all EGR'd out but i dont want to put it in the garage and get stung ££££

cheers duncan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not sure i cleaned the EGR and pipe then bolted it all back together before starting the engine,fault blight stayed on.

if i clear the fault using VAGCOM it comes back within 30 mins of driving

can i just remove the EGR and start the engine without blanking anything off

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
The EGR is located on the front right of the exhaust manifold, this tends to get cloges up with carbon and jams the small piston inside and in my case caused the engine to not even start.

a new part is about £150 and easy enough to do a DIY on as it is held in place by 2 Allen head bolts.

Andy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont mind replacing the valve if its going to fix it about £100 i think .

but ive read threads on here that say dont change them its a waste of money as they dont go wrong to often,but if anybodys had the same problem i would love to know what fixed it.

ive got the fault code written down somewhere will find it in the morning and let you know

·
Registered
11 Posts
had the same problem on 1.6, had it serviced flew through the emissions test, reset fault code, light came back on, cleaned valve, light came back on...student loan eventually paid for a new valve, ran it a few miles light went off without a reset on the fault code

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed it this way. The EGR valve houses weak PLASTIC gears driven by a
stepper motor with a METAL gear! The intermediate plastic gear had lost a couple of teeth so
was not being driven anymore. As the maximum angle the gear moved was only 90
degrees, I just removed the gear and rotated it so that the sheared teeth are
out of the range of movement. [Some may have to have the fault reset, mine didn't] This can all
be done while the EGR valve is still in situ, just open the top cover [note! torx screws] to reveal
the gears and do not loose the spacer from the top of the middle gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i am getting the exact problem as this but i have now cleaned it up and my vacuum pipe is connected to the egr valve but its disconnected to were it it should go to, does anyone know where it connects back on, and will the light turn itself off after if its al working or will i have to get the light reset after i do all that

·
Registered
41 Posts
You need to reconnect it to the Valve ( just above it ) and then the valve flows from the Inlet vacuum pipe ( the one that comes from / to the Brake servo )

As for the Light. Mine never had the light on in the 1st place so i can't help ya there bud.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts