Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting post from The_Equalz, but I must admit I think 40-70 is a better measure of performance in the real world. I mean, how often will you actually get the opportunity to go from 0-60 anyway? No idea what times I can make, but it feels pretty startling and has put the wind up a few 'performance' cars![}:)] I guess diesels (particularly chipped ones) will have the edge here, which is not surprising if you're generating nearly 300lbft of torque (for info a 'stock' 911-C2 [:eek:)]"only" generates 275lbft). Anyone got any interesting or relevent stats on this?

·
Registered
125 Posts
yeah ill have to agree with you on this.... had alot of petrol cars from Celicas, RS turbos, mk2 16v, etc and i do alot of motorway driving and all i can say is my current car a celica (looking for MK4 tdi) has to be put down a gear to even keep up with TDis that appear in my rear view!!!

the funny thing is they come flying up in my rear view mirror and im like that must be a quattro of tweaked gti 1.8t..... only to get the shock and horror to see that TDi badge on the back laughing at my supposebly sports coupe as it flys away!!!!!

DOh!!!!!!! :O)

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's only true if the 911 was in the wrong gear, i.e. out of their power band though... Don't forget power is a product of torque and RPM. [;)]

If that Porsche is putting out the same torque as you, but at double the RPM, it'll have twice the power and so almost twice the acceleration! Assuming they're not just a poser and have picked the wrong gear [;)]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
I have a chipped diesel, and drove a 911C2 just last night. The diesel would be left for dust.

The last C2 dis 30-70 in 3.7 secs, so 40-70 in the mid 2's.

I can get prety close to that 30-70 in my 1.8t, but in the diesel, do be serious.

·
Registered
581 Posts
30-70 times are pretty silly because they usually compare cars using the same gear. Therefore a chipped tdi will look a lot faster than a civic type r on paper but drop the civic down a few gears and it will be quicker than the tdi. I always think the best test of a cars ablility is 0-100

·
Registered
581 Posts
what do you mean through the gears? [:I] i always see it in magazines as 30-70 in 4th gear = 6 secs or am i misunderstanding something [:eek:)]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
30-70 is usually through the gears.

th 50-70, or 60-80 20 second increments are usually taken in a range of gears. It depends how extensive the performance testing was.

Autocar quote 0-60, 0-100, 30-70 through the gears, and 50-70 in top.

·
Registered
666 Posts
30-70 would probably be very good for diesels.

But it doesn't account for nil performance outside the power band (usually between 2500 and 2502 rpm).

All can be misleading really but 0-60 has been the benchmark for so long that it would take forever to change.

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
30-70 in a diesel requires at least 1 if not 2 gearchanges, so the odds are stacked against them.

·
Registered
666 Posts
At some oft' benchmarked stage of acceleration (not sure which) the 150PD diesel Golf is quicker than a Boxster S.

I thought it was 30-70.

Maybe it's 50-70?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote: posted by Wilko on 07/12/2004 15:16:16

30-70 in a diesel requires at least 1 if not 2 gearchanges, so the odds are stacked against them.

30 - 70 with the IHI in second gear......[:D][:D][:D]

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
Mat, 30-50 in third. But thats because it's like 2nd in a petrol

Quote: posted by LIAMH on 07/12/2004 15:44:50

Wheelspinning all the way!!![}:)][}:)]

Mind you M8 I drove a carerra 2 last night, and it was struggling nearly as much to get the power down as mine does in this weather.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My old Revo'd Fabia vRS (180bhp 300lbs) would murder my 330ci if both cars were pootling along in 4th 2500rpm and the throttle was floored

However get the 330 into the higher revs and it would scream past the Fabia

So is the Fabia or the 330 quickest? Ultimately the 330 obviously, but if your driving style is to not redline very often (ie my missus [:D]) a decent diesel can be the quicker car IMO

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 07/12/2004 15:03:35

30-70 would probably be very good for diesels.

But it doesn't account for nil performance outside the power band (usually between 2500 and 2502 rpm).

HAHAHAHA [:eek:)]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like a good debate brewing here......

Didn't mean to imply that the C2 would be slower (doh!) as a result of lower torque, just a (lame) comparison. I was curious as to folks' opinions about petrol vs diesel, as you see some pretty beefy mid-range figs in car mags that suggest TDI's are faster in that range. A mate has a 330ci, and in a straight line I can easily keep pace with him between about 40 & 70 as long as I stay in 3rd/4th - it's on the twisty fast/slow stuff he trounces me as the Beemer's throttle response is more immediate (not to mention a well-sorted chassis & rear wheel drive!) Anyway, as someone pointed out, you can only use it if you can get it down, and on damp greasy roads I find the TC cutting in when I try to floor it even at 40 in third. (Mind you, really put the wind up a Cooper-S the other night, heh heh)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think if you know your diesel engine REALLY well and know EXACTLY how to extract every last drop of power from it, you've got a damn quick car.

I think petrols can get away with a bit more as we have a much wider rev range - Make a slight male chicken up and you're still likely to be in or near the power band.

Get it wrong in a diesel and you're a bit stuffed.

That new BMW 535d sounds interesting with about 400lb/ft!!

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I can do 30-70 without changing gear quite happily though it would be quicker with one gear change. Will have to have a look at what it can do. What's the best way of timing it? I have one of those gtech meters but I don't think that does 30-70 only 0-60 and 0-100.

·
99 Ronnie
2,793 Posts
Quote: posted by LIAMH on 07/12/2004 15:44:50

Quote: posted by Wilko on 07/12/2004 15:16:16

I know its a completely different car powerwise to your IHI, but my previous 150bhp 5 speed 1.8ts could both indicate about 72mph in 2nd on the speedo(rev limiter), I think the 180bhp 6 speed indicates about 62ish(rev limiter) - therefore needing 3rd gear to hit 70. I wonder what the difference would be between those 2 cars 30-70?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts