Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone done one?

Ihave a 1.9tdi with a tuning box takin it to 130bhp

I regularly get times of 9.5 - 10.2 (depending on quality of start and weather)[:D]

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have the 1.9 and i did a few tests when i got the car. two attempts -9.53 and 9.58.

I have a huge sub box (takes my boot up!) 15" sub, amps etc and now seeing 10.02.

what sorta times were u seeing before the tuning box?

I'm thinkin of getting mine chipped, but depends upon results!

i know foxy was organising a superchips group buy day, but not sure about their warranty etc! best to get any other mods done before chippin!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on a good start with the box in i have seen a best time of 9.18 which is good

before i had the box in i saw 11.1 times which is only 0.2 less than standard. my car is on 18s though so it could be slowed by those a bit but seeing 9.18 is great

top speed i have seen is 129 mph had to slow down due to a built up sorta area in the motorway!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by ianhg on 03/01/2005 18:31:29

in my revo'd 130 i can get in the low sevens in the dry

May I ask what is the BHP of your car. I'd have thought you'd need >170BHP to reach 60 in ~7s.

What would a standard 130TDI do it in? I'm asking official or tests using real equipment? I'd guess about 9-9.5s.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 03/01/2005 18:51:07

May I ask what is the BHP of your car. I'd have thought you'd need >170BHP to reach 60 in ~7s.

What would a standard 130TDI do it in? I'm asking official or tests using real equipment? I'd guess about 9-9.5s.

I have been able to do a flat 8.0s with standard PD 130, timed with vag-com. VW driver did it in 7.8s. Official VW figure 0-100kmh (62mph) 9.6s.

·
Registered
961 Posts

well its a good thing that a revo'd 130 will give over 170bhp . were you doubting what i said, i dont make false claims. this was done with a 0-60 timer!

·
Registered
313 Posts
I really don't understand how you guys are measuring this down to 100th's of seconds. It is a fact that when your speed is indictaed at 60mph, you are actually only doing anything from 50mph to 56 mph.

This is due to the inbuilt tolerances of speedo's. So when you stop the watch at 60mph, it could actually only be 54 mph for example.

I am not intending to cast doubt upon anyones claim, but believe me being part of the sports bike scene(3.6s to 60 BTW [:D]). I have been involved in few of these bar room type conversations, and unless you have calibrated speedos, that are linked to a stop watch, or sophisticated telemetry (spelling?) gear. Then there is always quite a bit of margin for error.

Ofcourse places like Santa Pod do 'run wot u brung' days. These will give you a standing quarter figure, which I always think is a better indication of a vehicles performance anyway. But, this can also be a really humbling experience.

As mentioned, I am not meaning to 'dis' anyone, just to put a little sensibility into an age old debate.[^]

Perhaps a more realistic, non scientific test, is to do before and after tests. So pre chip = 10 seconds, post chipping 9 seconds, you can then see that the effective perfomance increase as a percentage gain.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Quote: posted by businessboy on 04/01/2005 11:04:33

oh man! c'mon guys get yeh fones out, and floor it! ;)

LOL scientific there mate [:D] [;)]

I will do it later when i drive down the motorway later [:D]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi

I have a 2.0 TDI and i also have a nice performance meter from race-techology.com

if u check out the details it a very good meeter for this type of test also the version i have is the AP-22 so all the data can but put on a graph and you can do speed test 0-60 or any speed and review the data there or download it..

Would be nice to see someone with a 2.0 TDI with a mod (revo one would be nice when it's out) so i can see what i will get when i mod it or anyone else with a chipped one.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Quote: posted by ianhg on 03/01/2005 19:46:25

well its a good thing that a revo'd 130 will give over 170bhp . were you doubting what i said, i dont make false claims. this was done with a 0-60 timer!

Of course not [:I]

It does seem weird to me me that people quote 0-60 times that are always faster than most run of the mill mags quote and they are using experieinced drivers (well they should be) and proper timing gear which stops at a real 60mph not stopped manually by the driver at an indicated 60 which will be less than 60mph.

When the Cooper S MINI was released none of the mags matched the "official" time of 7.4s 0-100km/h they were all higher about 7.6-7.8s to 60.

It's the same with other makes too. What car quote 11.2s for a 1.6FSI Golf for example.

It just doesn't seem right that manufacturers would give times of >1s out from what their cars can do. If I was in marketing I would want to attract people to the cars not tell people they are slower than they really are.

'tis true that speedos are out. I think it is law that they cannot show under so makers tolerance them the other way. If you look at Autocar roadtests they quote how far they are out.

anyway, lets keep the discussion going [:)]

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not had car long and not had much time to do one yet but in time ill give it a go but most of the 0-60 is down to the driver and weather

DSG is 0.3 faster than a manual box says somthing on the same car

But my main bit would be to see how much differance the mod / chip makes to all this

i think that in time the 0-60 will go down a bit when there are more milles on the clock as proven when they did a test with 2 golfs one with loads a miles on the clock the other with not a lot on.

And the same car can be different output not all cars are the same

1 - 20 of 24 Posts