Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What I thought was my flywheel disintergrating - damaging my gearbox housing (bill of around ?2,000)

was actually much worse.

The R32 gearbox after a galactic ?37,000 miles has retired itself taking with it the flywheel and clutch when it exploded,

thankfully it's only going to cost ?6,000 to put the slight fault right.

Thank god it's out of warranty.

If youv'e just had your 32 modified, start sh*ting yourself!

Whats your biggest bill?

·
Registered
225 Posts
ouch!!

glad youve still got a sense of humour about it mate, id probably be crying now.

is that a repair quote from the stealers??

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can't belive that.
is the quote for a new gearbox?
what about a second hand box?
mines got over 50k on the clock so a little worried now.
still got a years warrenty tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The stealers have quoted ?6,000 but a normal establishment will be ?3,000 no doubt.

The stealers usually use david beckham or elton john to change gearboxes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a new box, duel mass flywheel and clutch

The stealers have said that a used 32 box fitted would be almost as much as a new one.

My R32 was one of the first ones, getting it around christmas 2002,

i wonder if the first runs had crap gearboxes.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I have a clutch and flywheel here in a spare engine. Not sure what shape it's in but it may save you a few quid. I'll be taking it out for a look at it over the weekend. Let me know if you want pics.

Baz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The stealers have taken the gearbox out and have made it into an ash tray,

a bit like what the stealers are going to do to your turbo box

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where did you get the spare engine? did your gearbox blow and destroy everthing but the clutch and wheel.(try any picture that in your mind)

Its still early days

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
I have a few good sources for parts. I don't actually own an R32 but I have a shell, 2 engines, 1 full set of running gear, suspension, ARBs, steering etc etc etc all sitting here. I'm going to be using some of it and the rest I'll be selling. I'm currently speaking to someone about selling the best engine out of the 2 without the clutch or flywheel so that's why i'll have a spare.

Cheers

Baz

·
Registered
806 Posts
I must a admit I am amazed the gear box has gone with only 37K on the clock. Have you fitted a turbo too you R32. The R32 is a great car, but whenever I here?stores of upgraded golf R32, I also here of some horror stores to go with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I'd be on the phone to VW saying this is not what I expect from a car costing so many thousands etc. I suspect they might contribute towards the repair.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I must a admit I am amazed the gear box has gone with only 37K on the clock. Have you fitted a turbo too you R32. The R32 is a great car, but whenever I here stores of upgraded golf R32, I also here of some horror stores to go with it. Good luck.
You must be the first to hear those stories then! Apart from those running turbo or superchargers, I've not heard of any owners having issues with modified R32's. I ran one myself for just under a year and never had any problems....

This is the first time I've heard of a gearbox failure and I'm really suprised to read that VW UK aren't offering to help him out [N]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thats an insane amount of money! I'm very surprised that VW won't make a contribution towards it though. With a repair bill for that much, I'd probably be tempted to get rid of the car and try to find another one, but I guess it depends on how much work you've done to your current motor and how much you would loose in the process.

Good luck with it anyway, and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The funny thing is that the car is completely standard, the gearbox failed in 6th cruising at only 75mph(not even changing gear) and i only stopped because on the hard shoulder because of a slight intermittent noise coming from the engine bay, i would of put money on the clutch.

After that there was a strange sensation in my wallet.[^o)]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts