Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, getting my life on the straight and narrow. I now have ?2500 to spend on a car, maximum. I could spend more, but I would be back in the same situation as I was in before, so thats a bit silly really!

Sold the Bora, now just need to sell the golf.

Before I do, I need to get myself another car. My requirements are this:

Nothing lower than a T reg. Preferably diesel. Reliable engine. Good insurance group.

The only car that I have come up with so far is the Pug 306 and 406, but would go for the 306. However, I may be missing something, anyone else have any suggestions? The pug gives me 50 miles to the gallon, can get up to about a Y reg with 2.5k with decent mileage. Cheap to run and only group 5 insurance!

Anyone else got any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You could do a K.L.F and burn it!

Or buy ?2500 of mid road champagne and drown sorrows at not being on property ladder

?2500 of euro millions lottery tickets

?2500 of Elizabeth Duke Chav Bling

What golf does you have? How much? Am considering a run around

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, will have a look at your suggestions.

Bigburd, I has a Y reg 1.8T, it has a fair few miles on the clock though, which seems to have stopped me selling it so far even at what I thought was a very good price!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Graham, I think your Pug ideas are pretty much on the money or a vauxhall of some kind.

Do you need a mid sized car for load carrying? I know you had mentioned looking at estates.

Obvisously in general the smaller the car, the less weight there is and the better mpg you will get.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Graham, I think your Pug ideas are pretty much on the money or a vauxhall of some kind.

Do you need a mid sized car for load carrying? I know you had mentioned looking at estates.

Obvisously in general the smaller the car, the less weight there is and the better mpg you will get.
Yer I'm pretty much set on the pug, in hatchback form. Wouldnt mind an estate as they seem to be a little cheaper, same as golf estates I guess.

I would like to say the pug will probably last me a year, by which time I will be so bored with it and back to some fuel guzzling monster [:)]

I just didnt want to be missing out on something obvious for the same kind of money that I haven't come across myself. Seems I'm not, though I didnt think of looking at Astra's I got to admit.

DJ, the toledo's are fine, but I can't get a diesel version for the same money as I can a pug, can only get the toledo 1.8's unfortunately.

I could, if I wanted to, go crazy and pick myself an R32 up, but I just need to be sensible for at least a year!!

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
*cough* Rover....

Oh did someone mention a Rover? [:D] Look at the 25 or 45 series with the 2.0 Diesel engine, both can be had for the money you're banding about and are low insurance groups. With the collapse of Rover there are bargains to be had and its only a matter of time before someone somewhere starts taking over the vehicle warranties.

Failing that Ford Focus diesels are ten a penny now, too. I've been looking at T/V platers for just over ?2k.

And if your as frugal as me then get your backside down to the nearest Biodiesel filling station. Just filled Jalopy up @ 75p/L.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a rover, not going back!!

Hmm, ford focus though, never thought of that one, and I think they look slightly better than the 306's. Didnt realise the diesels would be down to around that now. Does anyone know if they have the same type of engine as the transits? would give me an idea on their reliability.

Cheers tabs, I'll go looking for focus's later.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I've had a rover, not going back!!

Hmm, ford focus though, never thought of that one, and I think they look slightly better than the 306's. Didnt realise the diesels would be down to around that now. Does anyone know if they have the same type of engine as the transits? would give me an idea on their reliability.

Cheers tabs, I'll go looking for focus's later.
I believe earlier Foci came with the Zetec 1.9L TD unit, which, according to the Ford Forums, is actually more reliable than the later high preasure 2.0L TDI engines that Ford produce.

The earlier engine responds better to Biodiesel as well - something which is high on my priority list!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The spec is on the forum elsewhere, do a search for 'swop shop'.

It was basically V reg 54k.
Yeh just found it. Can't believe you got ?2500... Sounds like you were robbed. Cheapest on autotrader is ?3500 and that is no where near the spec of yours. ?4500 would be the minimum I thought you would get... strange [:O]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
The spec is on the forum elsewhere, do a search for 'swop shop'.

It was basically V reg 54k.
I thought you sold it to your Dad?

If you let it go for ?2500, I think you have just completely wasted
your time - trying to save money? You paid over ?5,000 for it a few
months ago didn't you? Everything on Autotrader is ?3,500 - ?5,000, the
new owner must be laughing his head off...surely you could have got
more for it as a trade in? At the price why not just keep it?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL at you lot. Dad paid me ?2500 and paid off my loan for the car. He actually bought it for ?5800. I paid 6k for it. For the ?5800 though he also got it serviced and two decent new tyres.

This means I have ?2500 from the car to spend on another, and means I don't have that loan anymore. Trying to cut down all my monthly payments so I have more for monthly mortgage and general house payments etc.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
LOL at you lot. Dad paid me ?2500 and paid off my loan for the car. He actually bought it for ?5800. I paid 6k for it. For the ?5800 though he also got it serviced and two decent new tyres.

This means I have ?2500 from the car to spend on another, and means I don't have that loan anymore. Trying to cut down all my monthly payments so I have more for monthly mortgage and general house payments etc.
Phew! I was getting worried I'd lost about ?3000 on my car in 2 months there!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts