Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
15k will buy you a very tidy 60k miles M5...!?!?! I know wheihc one I'd have!! infact am watching one on the bay now.......met blue wiht caramel interior..........looks awesome! 

·
Registered
690 Posts
15k will buy you a very tidy 60k miles M5...!?!?! I know wheihc one I'd have!! infact am watching one on the bay now.......met blue wiht caramel interior..........looks awesome!
I agree...This 840 is way overpriced considering it's such an old car which is largely underrated apart from a few devoted fans.

For that money, at least here in Luxembourg, you could get a tidy E39 M5 which is a lot better value as Simch says.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Very nice Mike. I was looking at some 840s on the trader. Didnt see any as tidy as this but they were all around 8K. This is a sweet motor and I think its unfai to comapre with an M5. True a better car but a different kinda car.

·
Banned
4,570 Posts
you can never compare the 8 to any other BMW - even though your getting more for your money in the m5

that is one of the best examples i have seen!!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I used to work for BM and I would not go near one parts are very expensive brakes are crap and if you dont know before you drive potentially lethal huge amounts of dead pedal travel before they bite.

Save yourself some money and buy something else even if it is that clean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!

I have just registered here specifically to contribute to this stem.

I am (or was until about 3 hours ago...more on that below) the owner of this particular 840Ci Sport !

Thank you to those who made some of the complimentary comments.

In response to some of the other comments:

If you think this car is "well over-priced" it may come as a surprise that I sold this car 3 hours ago to someone who recognised what it represents and has flown over 12,000 miles round trip to buy the car at that price.

I sold a very similar last summer to the first person who viewed it at ?14995. This car here in fact:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/840cisport/index.html

I have just acquired another similar example with a genuine 24K miles on the clock...yes 24! I have only owned the car for 4 days and have already had 3 unsolicited offers on this car in excess of ?20K...which I have declined!

Despite being maligned at launch people are now coming to realise what these cars represent and what they were always intended to be...ie. a 'GT' car in its truest sense...and as all big BMW Coupes have always been. I speak as someone with over 25 years of BMW ownership behind me and one who owned such a previous classic 'GT' car in the form of an E9 3.0CS for 13 years. These cars too were never intended to be 'sports cars'...and if the truth be known they were always 'out-handled' by their contemporary saloons...I know this because I also owned an E3 3.0S.

This misses the point. BMW have long had a tradition of making aesthetic but very expensive 'Grand Tourers'...the E31 was just a continuation of that. Everytime they have done it they have been slated at launch...only for the press and buyers to do a complete U-turn in later years. The 3.0CS was slated for being vastly over-priced when new. I had the original bill of sale with mine and it showed one could have bought two V12 E-Types at the time for the price of one 3.0CS...some people still bought them!

It is true that the E31 is not BMW's greatest ever 'driver's car'...far from it and I would be the first to agree! The steering can feel 'vague'...there is understeer (worse in 850i form!)...the brakes are powerful but don't feel it...so this can leave the unintiated with a feeling of disconcertion etc! However, it is what it is...and there are people out there who want them for what they are.

When I want to drive a 'driver's car' I am fortunate in that I also own this car:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/page_m3.html

These E30 M3s can no longer, by modern standards, be considered a fast 'road car'.Yet it still makes me laugh that the car has the aura, reputation and credentials to make every 'hot hatch' driver want to try to prove their car against it! That is of course until the road is...anything other than straight!

For the best of both world's I had, until a few weeks ago, this car:

http://www.bmwclassics.co.uk/alpina_b3/index.html

Despite being 11 years old this car combined both refinement and style with serious 'hot hatch' butt-kicking potential! Sorry to appear confrontational but ask the driver's of several 'GTI' type cars who wrongly decided to chance their arm against this only to see the view of it that they hadn't intended!

But sorry, I digress...returning to the 840Ci Sport. Of course, some parts are expensive...principally body and trim parts as they are exclusive to that particular model and of course parts on many other performance cars are equally expensive...not just BMW. However, much of the running gear and other mechanicals are shared with other models in the range (7 and 5 series) and hence are readily available and not necessarily stupidly priced. If someone is advising "...get an M5 because it'll be cheaper to run..." Then they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and you shouldn't listen to their advice! An M5...any model of M5...is a wonderful car...but don't for a second think you can run any M-Car 'on the cheap'!

Given the price bracket where my 840Ci Sport was pitched I assume the advice was to "...save your money and buy an (E39) M5..."? Is the poster of that advice aware of firstly, the potential common faults and the costs of rectification of the faults that occur on the E39 M5? Is the poster aware of what BMW have just done with their warranty policy on M-Cars? For example, above 80K miles a premium of ?1800 + VAT/year with a ?250 excess and numerous new exclusions from the warranty? Then ask yourself if you'd be brave enough to take one of these cars on without a warranty? Check-out the Pistonheads.com BMW forum and see how many people who know about these wouldn't be! See how many now also don't want to pay ?1800+/year before they've even turned a wheel! Then ask yourself why the prices of these and E46 M3s have gone into 'free-fall'?

I love BMWs (obviously!)...I'd love to have a 400BHP M5...same with an E46 M3...but now the potential expense stops me...and many others like me! Makes the cost and risk of an 8-Series seem like peanuts!

So, in summary, I accept that the E31 is not BMW greatest driver's car by a long way. However, neither BMW nor any other manufacturer will probably ever make a car quite like it. Few other cars, in my experience, now have the ability to draw looks and comments like it when seen in the flesh (you try pulling up in a petrol station in a good one of these and seeing if you can get away without someone coming to talk to you!).There are plenty of other cars to choose from and if an 8-Series is not for you that's fine. But consider this: You MUST factor in depreciation when you think you are:

"Sav (ing) yourself some money and buy something else..."

If you buy something 'common place' the market will be full of good examples of that car...therefore each seller will try to undercut the other and hence the only trend in value is DOWN. That means: "You are losing money!" You are losing money ALL THE TIME whether you are having to pay expensive repairs bills or not! The same way that people who buy new cars think they are saving money because they have no repair bills are losing money...all the time! They just don't seem to understand that...much to the benefit of the new car industry.

When I knew I had sold this current 840Ci Sport I sat back and thought; "What else could I get in terms of a BMW to replace it as a depreciation proof asset that I would enjoy at the sametime?"

For the reasons described above recent M-Cars, unfortunately, had to go out of the window...too much expense or too much risk! Everything else recent?...No, too butt-ugly! With this rationale behind me I was even just poised to jump marques after all these years and buy a Ferrari 348 (not as stupid or such an economic 'faux pas' as it may seem if you actually think about it!). I own six BMWs...and whilst I wouldn't necessarily advocate an 840Ci Sport, of the calibre that I have just sold, as a daily driver that is not what my buyer (and the other people that wanted this car and who have now missed out!) wanted the car for! If you want a daily driver there are many other cars out there to choose from 'hot hatches' and not! However, when this latest 24K mile car came up it would, to my mind, have been economic stupidity (if nothing else) NOT to have bought it!

Again, I apologise as I don't wish to appear confrontational on my first post here. All I am saying is that sometimes things may not be so 'cut and dried' as they initially appear to some people...and one needs to sit back and consider the bigger picture and come to one's own conclusions about what one wants from a car?

Regards

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Nice post, some nice points.

Got to say i'd have that over an older M3 just because of it's looks. It is a VERY good looking car (and it had pop-up headlights [:)]).

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The one I had to deliver many years ago was cerise pink and had beige leather and cerise pink piping now that drew attnetion for all the wromg reasons, we nick named it the pimp wagon [;)]

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I guess a ?15,500 bid would proably buy you this......

Posted Image

A very subtle 280bhp grand tourer from a family perspective.

I know what I'd rather have in the drive. Derin100 made some valid comments, but still doesn't change my mind that the 8 was a bit of a tank.

The B3 above is for sale here http://www.hillmoren.com/clients/HillMoren/DisplayCar.asp?id=370&j=0&m=0&t=30032006093836 and if it wasn't for the fuel consumption - yes I would buy it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I guess a ?15,500 bid would proably buy you this......

Posted Image

A very subtle 280bhp grand tourer from a family perspective.

I know what I'd rather have in the drive. Derin100 made some valid comments, but still doesn't change my mind that the 8 was a bit of a tank.

The B3 above is for sale here http://www.hillmoren.com/clients/HillMoren/DisplayCar.asp?id=370&j=0&m=0&t=30032006093836 and if it wasn't for the fuel consumption - yes I would buy it.
When was the photo taken ??? Trees have still have the leaves on them. That a slightly breathed on Beemer does sound quite good. Also thought C30 CDI AMG was quite good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That Alpina would certainly be a lovely all-rounder proposition. You might also find that actually the fuel consumption isn't too bad (depends what you'd be comparing it with I guess?). My E36 Alpina B3 3.0 Coupe always returned incredible fuel consumption given it's performance. Even during quite 'enthusiastic' driving it was actually rare to get the mpg much below 30 mpg! At motorway cruising speeds mid-30's was easy...if you were really gentle you could even get high 30's! Ok...that E46 B3 Touring is a 3.3L, will probably be a bit heavier and is 'Switchtronic' but O wouldn't expect the fuel consumption to be horrendous?

Of course we all know the main determinant of fuel consumption is one's right foot and the manner/environment in which a car is driven. For example, I drove my lastest 840Ci Sport (the 24K miler) back from London to Shropshire on Friday night at around 75-80 mph (admittedly never much more) and averaged 29 mpg on the computer at the end of the trip...so not too bad?

(The other thing I meant to put in the earlier post was...you can't buy an 840Ci Sport for ?8-grand...you must be looking at a different kind of car. Some of the cars listed on 'Autotrader' as such are not! The two very cheapest genuine 840Ci Sports on Autotrader at the moment start at ?9K for high mileage cars with dodgy colour schemes. The decent/good genuine 'Sports' are all around the ?15K mark).

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love BMWs (obviously!)...I'd love to have an E46 M3...but now the potential expense stops me...
Me too on both counts. Thanks for your post, some really nice info from an obvious BMW enthusiast [:)]

I love the 8 Series, a car that came at just the wrong time and one of
the last of the 'true' BMWs... before they went Mainstream/too
Politically Correct/Bangle. They can be had for bargain prices now but
the age, expense and to some extent image (Im 24) puts me off a bit.
When I see a clean one though I still love it, hence my post.

You mention SIX BMWS? My kind of guy, can you give a run down?
And which forum do you hang out on, most of the BMW forums I have found
tend to be somewhat, er, dodgy...not true enthusiasts but blinged out
tacky cack....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree...the 8-Series is a bit of an 'older man's' car I think....sadly I'm 43 now so I guess I'm into that bracket! :(

Both the 840Ci Sports I've sold have gone to guys even older than me! I guess us older farts like a bit of comfort surrounding our performance! I sometimes now think I'm getting a bit too old for my E30 M3 ! LOL

That's why I'll probably end up keeping my latest 840Ci Sport acquisition...the 24K mile one.

As of yesterday my collection is now down to 5...as the 840Ci Sport in the above pics was sold yesterday!

Now I have:

1990 E30 M3 (see link above)

1989 E32 735i with a genuine 44K miles on the clock...possibly the lowest mileage '89 735i in existence.

1998 840Ci Sport 24K miles

1998 E39 523i my daily driver

1995 E34 525i Touring my wife's

Regards

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Blimey, for ?15,500 you could have my RX8 (a minter) but its not for sale[:D]
Not really fair to compare an Mazda to a BMW....... I mean, even a brand spanking RX-8 wouldn't be a patch on a 10+ year old 840. Less rattles and better oil consumption. LOL

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Wow, that's quite some post! I've got to admire the man's view on bmws!

Not a BMW owner or massive fan (although I know a nice car when I see one) - Nice collection too!

Care to elaborate on the changes to BMW policy in more detail regarding M-cars? Perhaps some links? Just curious more than anything!

Mike, Still loving your 330Ci [;)]

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blimey, for ?15,500 you could have my RX8 (a minter) but its not for sale[:D]
Not really fair to compare an Mazda to a BMW....... I mean, even a brand spanking RX-8 wouldn't be a patch on a 10+ year old 840. Less rattles and better oil consumption. LOL
Carlos, indeed you are correct. The comparison is not straight forward. One handles, goes, looks beautiful and modern, the other one is a BMW[:)].

I have the pleasure of both but the the 840ci (rest its soul) is a dinosaur. The 840 drank more oil AND had no space for the size of car. I am still fond of it but, as ever, the game moves on and its a League 2 footballers wife's car. Also when you did try and hustle the old girl. it didn't handle and mpg went to 9!

However, if you can find an 840ci (Sport), south of ?10K and in good nick, they offer excellent pound for metal. Excellent for cruising and feeling monied but its not a sports car.

Regards, Anil.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts